Recommended Doctors for Liver Transplant View All
Treatment Price on request
Treatment Starting at $4,500Free Text Consult
Treatment Starting at $4,500
Treatment Starting at $34,000Free Text Consult
Treatment Starting at $34,000
Treatment Price on request
Treatment Starting at $3,000Free Text Consult
Treatment Starting at $3,000
Liver Transplant Cost in India
- The Overall treatment of liver transplant cost in India starts from USD 27000
- The operative rate of success for a liver transplant in India is higher than 80%.
- Some of the best hospitals in India for a liver transplant are Max Healthcare Saket, Fortis Noida, and Dr Rela Institute & Medical Centre. The top doctors in the field include Dr. Vivek Vij, Dr. Subash Gupta, and Dr. Mohammed Rela
- Depending on the complications after the surgery, patients should stay in the hospital for a minimum of 2-3 weeks.
About Liver Transplant
The liver is a vital organ of the human body responsible for multiple functions. It is the largest organ of our body that processes various nutrients, medicines, produces bile, removes toxins from the body, and regulates our immune system. A person needs a liver transplant in case of acute or chronic liver failure or significant injury or disease to the liver.
Types of liver transplant
There are two types of liver transplants based on the type of donor:
Deceased donor: In most of the liver transplants the donor is a deceased person, and the recipient receives the liver of that person within a few hours. Sometimes one liver, if it is a match, can be used for two people as only a part of the liver is required for transplant.
Living donor: If one receives a liver donation from a healthy and alive person, that is called a living donor transplant. In most cases, a living donor is a family member.
When do you need a liver transplant?
Liver transplant is the last resort when the liver fails due to any of the following reasons:
- Drug overdose
- Severe hepatitis
- Injury in the vessels that transfer blood to the liver
- Fatty liver or Cirrhosis
- Genetic disorders
- Alcohol-related issues
- Biliary Atresia, found commonly in children
Symptoms of liver diseases
Following are some of the symptoms of liver disease:
- Yellow eyes or changes in skin color, which are also symptoms of Jaundice
- Variation in the color of urine or bowel movements
- Fluid accumulation in the abdomen, also known as Ascites
- An unnatural tendency of bleeding
- Tendency to forget things or mental confusion
The procedure :
Before the procedure
- First, if the patient has severe liver damage, studies and tests are conducted to understand the condition of the liver.
- After performing all the tests, if the patient is fit for a transplant, he/she is put on the waitlist for a donor match.
- If they find a living donor, he/she also has to undergo tests to see if the liver has a good chance of surviving in the patient’s body.
- In the case of a deceased donor, the size of the liver, the blood type, and the overall health are the factors that determine whether the donor is the right match.
- Once the doctors find the right match, in case of deceased donor the transplant works best if it is completed within 8 hours although it can work up to 24 hours.
- Before the surgery begins, antibiotics are given to the patient to prevent infection and steroids that reduce chances of rejection of the transplant by the body.
During the procedure
- At the beginning of the surgery, an incision made in the upper abdomen.
- Segregation of the crucial structures around the liver is done.
- The natural liver is removed and replaced with the donated healthy liver.
- The new liver is then connected to the blood vessels and the bile ducts.
- The blood flows into the new liver, and there is monitoring and establishment of a controlled blood flow.
- The incision is closed, and the liver starts to regenerate.
After the procedure
- After surgery, the hospitals keep the patient in an ICU under observation.
- Patient is put on tube assisted breathing and fluid infusion for nutrients.
- Antibiotics and other medicines are prescribed to protect the body from infections and recover at the earliest.
Factors affecting the cost of treatment in different states in India
Liver Transplant Cost In Delhi- The Delhi healthcare system is growing in terms of private and government hospitals. The development of facilities has lowered the prices as well.
Liver Transplant Cost In Chennai- The healthcare system in Chennai is one of the best in India and offers specialized services for International patients.
Liver Transplant Cost In Mumbai- There are several top hospitals in Mumbai that have brought down the cost of liver transplants despite the high-quality infrastructure.
Liver Transplant Cost In Pune- Pune is home to some of the best hospitals and doctors who have years of experience in liver transplant, and the cost is dependent on their expertise and state-of-the-art infrastructure.
Liver Transplant Cost In Hyderabad- Some exceptional hospitals in Hyderabad are pioneers in liver transplant surgeries, and the cost is a representation of the facilities provided.
Dr. Subash Gupta is one of the best Indian doctors for liver transplant in India. He handled everything very smoothly and helped me with regular follow-ups even after the surgery.
- Chukwu Chimare Edward, Kenya
Max hospital helped me find the right match for my liver transplant, and Hospals took care of everything while I was in India for the operation. I could not have asked for anything more.
- Oliver Olivia, Nigeria
Hospals is your best bet if you are planning to get a liver transplant. I was looking for options for my mom’s surgery, and I got the best deals
- Amita Majumdar, Bangladesh
You can always rely on Fortis Hospital Noida for minimal complications and a comfortable process. Thank you, Hospals, for getting us the best of everything!
- Rasulbek Annatora, Turkmenistan
How It Works
Need help in organizing medical travel to India?