Affordable Eye Surgery in India - Cost & Procedure Details
Book free consulting session with HealthTrip expert
- Cataract Surgery: Cataract surgery is one of the most commonly performed eye surgeries in India. It involves removing the cloudy lens from the eye and replacing it with a clear artificial lens. The cost of cataract surgery in India ranges from USD 500 to USD 920.
- Manual Small Incision Cataract Surgery (MSICS): This technique is used in cases where phacoemulsification is not possible due to advanced cataracts or other complications. The surgeon makes a slightly larger incision in the eye and removes the cloudy lens manually. The clear artificial lens is implanted in the same way as in phacoemulsification.
- LASIK Surgery: LASIK is a laser-assisted surgery used to correct refractive errors like myopia, hyperopia, and astigmatism. The cost of LASIK surgery in India ranges from USD 750 to USD 1200 per eye.
- Bladeless LASIK: In this technique, a femtosecond laser is used to create a thin corneal flap, which is then lifted to allow the laser to reshape the cornea. This technique is considered safer and more precise than traditional LASIK.
- Glaucoma Surgery: Glaucoma is a condition that damages the optic nerve of the eye, leading to blindness if left untreated. Glaucoma surgery involves reducing the intraocular pressure to prevent further damage to the optic nerve. The cost of glaucoma surgery in India ranges from USD 900 to USD 1,700 per eye.
- Glaucoma Drainage Devices: These are small tubes implanted in the eye to help drain excess fluid and reduce intraocular pressure. This technique is used in cases where trabeculectomy is not effective.
- Corneal Transplant: Corneal transplant is a surgical procedure used to replace a damaged cornea with a healthy one from a donor. The cost of a corneal transplant in India ranges from USD 1600 to USD 2000 per eye.
- Consultation: The first step towards eye surgery in India is to consult an ophthalmologist. They will conduct a thorough eye examination and determine the best course of treatment.
- Preoperative Preparation: The ophthalmologist will guide you through the pre-operative preparations like stopping the use of contact lenses, eye drops, and medication a few days before the surgery.
- Surgery: The surgery is performed under local anesthesia, and the patient is conscious throughout the procedure. Depending on the type of surgery, the duration can vary from 15 minutes to an hour.
- Post-Operative Care: After the surgery, the patient needs to follow the ophthalmologist's instructions for post-operative care, including using eye drops, avoiding strenuous activities, and wearing an eye patch.
India offers affordable eye surgery with world-class facilities and highly skilled ophthalmologists. The cost of eye surgery in India is significantly lower than in western countries, making it a preferred destination for medical tourists. However, it is essential to do proper research and choose a reputed hospital and an experienced ophthalmologist for a successful outcome.