Understanding The Uterine Cancer Risk Factors
Whether you or someone you know has recently been diagnosed with uterine cancer, it’s natural to be concerned about the type of cancer, risk factors associated with it, whether it’s curable or not, and many more. Here, in this blog, we have discussed a few such queries. Keep on reading to learn more.
Book free consulting session with HealthTrip expert
Who is at risk for uterine cancer?
Hormonal imbalance- Changes in the body's female hormone balance. The ovaries are responsible for the production of two major female hormones: estrogen and progesterone. Changes in the endometrium are caused by fluctuations in the balance of these hormones.
- A sickness or condition that raises the level of estrogen in your body but not the level of progesterone can increase your risk of endometrial cancer. Examples include polycystic ovarian syndrome's irregular ovulation patterns, obesity, and diabetes. Taking estrogen-only but not progesterone-only hormones after menopause raises the risk of endometrial cancer.
- Endometrial cancer risk is increased by a rare form of ovarian tumor that secretes estrogen.
More days of menstruation- Beginning menstruation at a young age — before the age of 12 — or entering menopause later raises the risk of endometrial cancer. The more periods you've had, the more estrogen your endometrium has been exposed to.
Breast cancer treatment - Tamoxifen, a hormone treatment medicine used to treat breast cancer, has been linked to an increased risk of developing endometrial cancer. If you're taking tamoxifen, talk to your doctor about this risk. Tamoxifen's benefits outweigh the minor risk of endometrial cancer for the vast majority of women.
No history of pregnancy-- You are more likely to get endometrial cancer if you have never been pregnant than if you have had at least one pregnancy.
Family history of colon cancer- Lynch syndrome, also known as hereditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer (HNPCC), is a cancer risk factor for colon cancer and other cancers, including endometrial cancer.
A gene mutation passed down from parents to offspring causes Lynch syndrome. If a family member has been diagnosed with Lynch syndrome, talk to your doctor about your chances of developing the genetic disorder.
If you've been diagnosed with Lynch syndrome, consult your doctor about cancer screening testing.
Obesity- excessive body fats can have the ability to alter the hormone balance in your body. Thus this can increase the likelihood of developing uterine cancer.
Can age affect the occurrence of uterine cancer?
Aging has increased the risk of uterine cancer by several folds. Most women develop the symptoms of uterine cancer around the age of 50 years or so.
If my mother or grandmother had uterine cancer, will I get it?
As per the results of the meta-analysis published on pubmed.gov, women having a first-degree family history of endometrial cancer or colorectal cancer are more likely to get the disease than those who do not have a family history. This study is expected to be clinically useful in informing women about their risk of endometrial cancer.
Is smoking a risk factor for uterine cancer?
A study suggests, that cigarette smoking is related to a lower risk of endometrial cancer in postmenopausal women but not in premenopausal women.
Furthermore, the risk reduction appeared to be higher in hormone replacement treatment users than in nonusers.
However, it’s not advised to start smoking for postmenopausal women only for the sake of reduced risk of exposure to endometrial cancer. As this can have a deleterious effect on your overall health, if not for uterine cancer.
What can be done to prevent endometrial cancer?
Most of the time, uterine cancer cannot be avoided. However, there are steps you may take to lower your risk:
- Diabetes should be managed.
- Keep a healthy weight.
- Consult your healthcare physician about using oral contraceptives. These drugs may provide some protection against uterine cancer.
Why should you consider getting uterine cancer treatment in India?
- India's cutting-edge techniques for cancer treatment
- Successful research-based studies
- The innovative and up-to-the-minute treatment approach
- medical skills, and
- PCOS treatment costs in India are among the best in the world, as our patients need affordable and quality outcomes.
We also offer a comprehensive range of counseling for coping with emotional changes to our international patients.
How can we help in the treatment?
If you are in search of an experienced blood cancer treatment in India, we will serve as your guide throughout your treatment and will be physically present with you even before your treatment begins. The following will be provided to you:
- Opinions of expert physicians and surgeons
- Transparent communication
- Coordinated care
- Prior appointment with specialists
- Assistance in hospital formalities
- 24*7 availability
- Arrangement for travel
- Assistance for accommodation and healthy recovery
- Assistance in emergencies
We are dedicated to offering the highest quality health care to our patients. We have a team of highly qualified and devoted health professionals that will be by your side from the beginning of your journey.