Things to know about Bone Marrow Transplant
Book free consulting session with HealthTrip expert
Your platelets begin as extremely young or healthy cells called hematopoietic stem cells. After these platelets mature, they travel out of your bone marrow and into your blood. A bone marrow transplant or relocation is sometimes called a stem cell transplant.
Damaged or Diseased bone marrow makes platelets insufficient for your immune system. A transplant can fix specific illnesses or a few types of deadly cancer as well. It likewise implies a long recovery process and a risk of severe side effects. Your doctor will surely guide you with the positives and negatives of bone marrow transplant surgery.
Why is a Bone Marrow Transplant done?
Bone marrow transplant is done to replace the diseased Bone Marrow from the healthy bone marrow holding your hematopoietic stem cell. They grow to become:
- Red blood cells, these super important cells carry oxygen around your body
- White blood cells, the cells help your immune system
- Platelet, these helps in letting your blood clot
When do you need a bone marrow transplant?
You will need a bone marrow transplant in many conditions such as:
- Acute or chronic leukemia
- Multiple Myeloma
- Hodgkin's or Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma
- Waldenstrom macroglobulinemia
- Germ cell tumors
- Cancer treatments in which high dose of chemotherapy or radiation is present
Types of Bone Marrow Transplant
There are basically two main types of bone marrow transplant:
- Autologous - In this the doctors and the medical team gather stem cells from your own marrow or blood and store them while you seek your cancer treatment. Then, they put the stored stem cells into your bloodstream. The cells travel to your bone marrow and multiply in strength to assist it with making diseased free healthy stem cells once again.
- Allogeneic - After the cancer treatment, you get healthy stem cells from an individual whose bone marrow intently matches yours. This might be a nearby relative, similar to a parent, or somebody from the national donor list. On the off chance that the benefactor is an indistinguishable kin whose tissue type is precisely the same as yours, it's known as a syngeneic transplant. Specialists can likewise use stem cells from the blood in an infant's umbilical cord.
Bone Marrow Transplant Procedure
This process generally starts with a process called conditioning. This normally involves the patient going through a high dose of chemotherapy with radiation for usually about 10 days. This initial process is different for everyone and is based on patients overall health and the condition being treated.
This process of conditioning makes room for new healthy stem cells to grow in your bone marrow. However it also weakens your immune system to keep your body from fighting the new cells.
But conditioning does have some side effects as well:
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Mouth Sores
- Hair loss
- Trouble eating
- Premature menopause
- Lung or breathing problems
- Fertility problems
Then after a few days of rest, a patient will get new blood stem cells through the central venous catheter. He/she will probably be awake for this, but this process shouldn’t hurt.
Once these new healthy new cells reach your bone marrow, they will grow into red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets. This process is called engraftment and this process may take up to 2 to 4 weeks.
How can we help with the treatment?
If you are looking for Bone marrow transplant treatment in India or hemorrhoids then be assured as our team will assist you and guide you through the entire process of your medical treatment.
The following will be provided to you:
- Expert oncologist, surgeon, physician and doctors
- Transparent communication
- Coordinated assistance at all times
- Prior appointments with specialists and follow up queries
- Assistance with medical tests
- Assistance in follow up queries
- Assistance with hospital formalities
- 24*7 availability
- Assistance with therapies
- Travel arrangements
- Assistance for accommodation and healthy recovery
- Assistance in emergencies
Our team offers you the highest quality health trips and one of the best after care for our patients. Further, we have a team of dedicated health personnel who are always available and ready to assist you throughout your medical journey.