HbA1C Test: Procedure, Cost, Management All You Need To Know
Are you aware of your blood sugar level lately? It’s important to know whether you are prediabetic or not, specifically during this time when the prevalence of undiagnosed diabetes has increased. You might have heard about HbA1c. Your doctor may suggest you go for this test prior to any surgical treatment procedure. Besides the regular blood sugar test, HbA1C can help you manage your symptoms and your blood sugar level as well. Here we have discussed why should you go for such a procedure, the HbA1c test cost in India, and many more.
Book free consulting session with HealthTrip expert
What does the HbA1c test measure?
Sugar binds to hemoglobin (a protein found in red blood cells) when it enters your bloodstream. Everyone has some sugar attached to their hemoglobin, but those with higher blood sugar levels have a greater amount.
The A1C test determines the proportion of your red blood cells that contain sugar-coated hemoglobin.
The HbA1c is a simple blood test that determines your average blood sugar levels over the previous three months. It is one of the most commonly used tests for diagnosing prediabetes and diabetes. This is the primary test for assisting you and your health care team in managing your diabetes.
Why do you need to undergo an HbA1c test?
Your physician may recommend this test for you-
- If your result is normal, but you're over 45, have risk factors, or have had gestational diabetes in the past, you should have the A1C test repeated every three years.
- If your results indicate that you have prediabetes, speak with your doctor about taking steps now to improve your health and lower your risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- If you don't have any symptoms but your test results indicate that you have prediabetes or diabetes, get a second test on a different day to confirm the result.
- If your diabetes test results indicate that you have diabetes, ask your doctor to refer you to diabetes self-management education and support services so that you can get the best start in managing your diabetes.
Values you should know:
Apart from taking the medicines(if you have diabetes), you need to know the values of this test so that you can manage the sugar level more effectively.
Less than 5.7
More than 6.4
A value within 5.7 to 6.4 suggests prediabetic condition i.e you are more prone to developing type-2 diabetes.
Other than this you can use the following chart as a guide to know the corresponding blood sugar levels, when the rest result value is above 6.4
eAG(estimated average glucose)%
What are the symptoms of high HbA1c levels?
The following are common indicators that you may have high HbA1c and diabetes:
- heightened thirst
- Urination occurs frequently.
- Vision issues such as blurred vision
Keep in mind that if your HbA1c is in the prediabetes range (5.7% -6.4 % you may not notice any symptoms at all. So, if you have diabetes risk factors (obesity, high blood pressure, a history of heart disease) it's especially important to monitor your HbA1c levels.
Do you need any preparation before the test?
No. you do not need any specific preparation before such a test.
Is there any risk associated with the test?
Having a blood test poses very little risk. Minor pain or bruising is expected at the area where the needle was inserted. However, most of these symptoms will subside quickly.
How to manage your HbA1c level?
As the lifespan of RBC-S(Red Blood Cells) is about 120 days(average 3 months), you can lower the value(HbA1C) during this duration.
After adopting a healthy lifestyle, physical activities, and a proper diet plan, you can successfully manage your sugar level.
- One of the most effective ways to reduce blood sugar spikes is to avoid refined carbs and sugars.
- Even high-glycemic fruits, whole grains, and legumes should be eaten with caution.
- Though these are far superior to refined carbohydrates, they can still cause blood sugar spikes in some people.
- Pairing these foods with a source of protein and fat can help to reduce the spike.
- Testing your blood sugar with a glucometer after meals can help you determine which carb sources you tolerate better than others.
Cost of HbA1c test in India:
The HbA1c test cost in India may vary based on the location of the clinic or the diagnostic lab from where you are getting yours. The average price may range from INR 390 to INR 500 per person.
Why should you consider getting diabetes treatment in India?
India is the most favored place for treating gastric issues for three major reasons.
- India's cutting-edge technology,
- medical skills,
- Board-certified and experienced surgeons, a few of them are also nominated with ‘center of excellence awards
- India’s hospitable environment,
- HbA1c test cost in India is almost half of the similar procedures in other countries, which ensures the quality of treatment in India is at par with the other countries around the globe.
How can we help in the treatment?
If you need to undergo diabetes treatment in India, we act as your guide throughout your treatment journey and will be present physically with you even before your treatment is started. We will provide you with the following:
- Expert physicians and endocrinologists’ opinions
- Transparent communication
- Coordinated care
- Prior appointment with specialists
- Assistance in hospital formalities
- 24*7 availability
- Arrangement for travel
- Assistance for accommodation and healthy recovery
- Assistance in emergencies
We are committed to providing the best health care services to our patients. We have a team of trained and highly dedicated health experts who will be there by your side right from the beginning of your journey.
Conclusion- In India, we have world-class hospitals that offer the most advanced diabetes treatment options that exceed international standards. So, if you're thinking of taking a trip for diabetes treatment in India, you can count on us. Our effectiveness as a center for treating and managing diabetes in India has been demonstrated by our treatment outcomes and patient satisfaction.