Recommended Doctors for Liver Cancer View All
Liver Cancer Treatment in India
- The overall costs for liver cancer treatment in India are approximately USD 6,000.
- The success rate of liver cancer treatment is as high as 85 percent.
- Some of the top doctors treating liver cancer in India are Dr Mohamed Rela , Dr Sameer Kaul , Dr Vivek Vij, Dr Subhash Gupta and Dr Abhideep Chaudhary. The leading hospitals for liver cancer treatment are Dr Rela Institute and Medical Center, Apollo Hospital, Fortis Hospital, Max Healthcare Saket and BLK Hospital.
- Depending on the stage of cancer and the treatment required, the hospital stay is between 6 days to 22 days.
About Liver Cancer Treatment
The liver is an essential organ of the body that performs multiple functions, including the production of bile and storing of nutrients. Liver cancer is when cancer cells form in the liver, this can be either primary liver cancer, where the cancer cells develop directly in the liver, or secondary when cancer spreads to the liver from another organ. Liver cancer treatment depends upon the stage of the disease and has high success rates in the initial stages.
Types of Liver Cancer
- Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) or hepatoma: Nearly 75 percent of all liver cancer cases are HCC. The HCC cancer starts in the liver cells and can spread to other parts of the body.
- Cholangiocarcinoma: Cancer cells develop in the bile ducts of the liver. This cancer accounts for 10-20 percent of all liver cancer cases.
- Angiosarcoma: A relatively rare form of liver cancer, Angiosarcoma is where cancer cells grow in the blood vessels of the liver.
- Hepatoblastoma: Another form of liver cancer that generally targets children where there is a presence of fetal liver cells along with an abdominal mass in the liver.
Liver Cancer Treatment
There are several options for liver cancer treatment, and the mode of treatment will depend on the specific type of cancer, the stage, other pre-existing health problems, age, and personal preference.
- Tumor Removal: Surgery directly removes the small tumor and a small portion of the liver surrounding cancer if the liver function is reasonable.
- Liver Transplant Surgery: The diseased liver is removed entirely and replaced with a donated healthy liver. Doctors advise a liver transplant when cancer has not spread outside of the liver.
Localized treatments refer to those treatment methods that are done directly on the cancerous cells or the areas surrounding them, with the guidance of imaging tools such as ultrasound.
- Radiofrequency Ablation: Doctors use electric currents to heat and destroy cancer cells. The doctor inserts thin needles through the abdomen to reach the tumor in the liver. Next, the doctor heats the needles with electric currents which in return, kills the cancer cells.
- Cryoablation: Doctors use extreme cold to freeze and destroy cancer cells. The doctor uses a cryoprobe containing liquid nitrogen, placing it directly into the tumors, freezing and eliminating the cancer cells.
- Alcohol injection: Pure alcohol is directly injected into the tumors, killing the cancer cells.
Doctors use high powered radiation from x-rays or proton beams to target the cancer cells and tumors in the liver, carefully protecting the surrounding healthy cells. Radiation is typically used when other treatments are not working. Beads containing radiation can also be placed in the liver on the tumor so that radiation is delivered directly to the cancerous cells.
Chemotherapy uses potent drugs to kill cells that rapidly multiply, such as cancer cells. Chemotherapy can be given through IV or even locally through the process of chemoembolization, where potent anti-cancer chemotherapy drugs are inserted directly into the tumor, destroying the cancer cells.
Apart from existing treatments, new forms of treatment, such as immunotherapy and targeted drug therapy, are also becoming popular. These forms of treatment are customized based on the specific case of the patient.
Factors affecting the cost of treatment in different states in India
Liver cancer treatment in Hyderabad: One of the up and coming centers for liver cancer treatment in the country, Hyderabad, has several top hospitals and excellent doctors.
Liver cancer treatment in Kolkata: Kolkata has qualified doctors experienced in liver cancer treatment and facilities available in multiple price ranges.
Liver cancer treatment in Bangalore: Reasonable costing medical treatment while retaining professional quality, liver cancer treatment options in Bangalore are numerous.
Liver cancer treatment in Mumbai: World-class hospitals with famous doctors, the cost of liver cancer treatment might be higher in Mumbai, but patients are guaranteed the best service.
Liver cancer treatment in Delhi: Home of numerous renowned hospitals with expert doctors, Delhi has liver cancer treatment available to suit your budget.
After months of pain in my abdomen, my doctors found multiple small tumors in my liver and confirmed a diagnosis of liver cancer. I was devastated. Thankfully, I found Hospals and, through them, underwent two rounds of chemoembolization and then surgery. Today, I am healthy, cancer-free, and also not in any financial debt due to healthcare costs, all because of Hospals!
- Tariq Nair, Oman
jaundiced is no word . kindly frame the sentence again. My doctor diagnosed me with Stage 2 liver Cancer. Hospals connected me with Max Vaishali, and it was one of the best decisions I made. I underwent radiation therapy, and soon my tumor reduced to a size safe for surgery. My surgery went smoothly, and after a round of Chemo, I was back to my old self.
- Mariama Adeyemi, Nigeria
My father was in advanced stage liver cancer, and disease had all but destroyed his liver. Our last option was a liver transplant. Hospals came to the rescue, and we found an experienced doctor who alleviated all our worries. The doctor performed the liver transplant smoothly without any complications, and my father is once again independent, happy, and healthy.
- Aaden Mohamed, Somalia
Recovering from alcoholism was a challenge, but I managed to do it. A few years later, the cirrhosis on my liver turned into liver cancer, and I was crushed. Hospals gave me hope and connected me with an expert in India. I flew to India and underwent localized treatments for my tumors at a world-class hospital. I recovered fully, and have now rejoined my office as well. Thanks, Hospals!
- Alem, Oman
How It Works
Need help in organizing medical travel to India?