Why Does Congenital Heart Disease Happen?
According to a study, almost 200,000 children are born in India each year with a hole in their small hearts.
Book free consulting session with HealthTrip expert
Understanding congenital heart disease:
Congenital cardiac defect refers to defects that are present in the heart from birth. This collection of illnesses affects the way the heart develops and functions from birth and can alter how blood flows through a person's heart.
Why does congenital heart disease happen?
If your child or someone you know has suffered from congenital heart disease, then the reason might be multifactorial which includes-
- Chromosomal abnormalities
- Family history
- Single gene defects
- Maternal factors
Among the above-mentioned reasons, maternal factors are the most commonly associated reason for developing congenital heart disease.
However, some types of congenital cardiac problems are more common when the mother comes into contact with certain drugs during the first few weeks of pregnancy. This is the period during which the baby's heart develops. Consult with your doctor if you have any queries.
These factors can increase a mother's chances of having a child with CHD:
- Seizure disorder and the requirement to take anti-seizure medications
- Lithium therapy for depression
- Having phenylketonuria (PKU) and failing to adhere to the special PKU diet while pregnant
- Insulin-dependent diabetes, particularly if blood sugar levels are not properly regulated
- A connective tissue condition
- Pregnancy because of assisted reproductive technologies (ART)
- Pregnant women suffer from rubella during pregnancy.
Before becoming pregnant, women with chronic conditions should seek counseling and guidance from professionals.
What are some of the conditions that can cause CHD?
Your doctor may not be able to tell you why your child was born with a birth defect. It can sometimes run in families due to abnormalities in your child's DNA.
Apart from the above-mentioned reasons, other factors that may raise the likelihood of getting CHD include:
-infections caused by viruses, such as rubella, during the first trimester of pregnancy
-smoking when pregnant
Treatment options for your child's Congenital Heart Disease include:
If your child has a serious congenital cardiac defect, your pediatric cardiologist may consider any of the procedures listed below.
- Cardiac catheterization-Thin, flexible tubes are used to correct congenital heart defects in some children and adults (catheters). Cardiac catheterization can be used to repair holes in the heart or narrow sections without requiring open-heart surgery.
- If a congenital problem is discovered at birth, fetal cardiac intervention is performed during pregnancy.
- Heart surgery-open heart or minimally invasive surgery on your baby's heart can be performed to repair any inborn heart defect.
- Fetal heart transplant- if your doctor is unable to repair the abnormality through other means, he or she may recommend a transplant.
If your child is having CHD, does that mean he/she is more prone to COVID-19 infections?
If your child has had surgery or therapy for CHD in the past, he or she is more likely to develop an infection. In such instances, you must exercise extreme caution.
- Check-ups on a regular basis
- For your child, your doctor may recommend a multidisciplinary approach.
- Visit your physician before administering any vaccinations (consult with the doctor who has been familiar with your child's medical history since the day he or she was born).
- Your youngster should have a full set of immunizations.
Why should you consider getting CHD treatment in India?
- India's cutting-edge techniques,
- medical skills, and
- heart treatment costs in India are among the best in the world, as our patients need affordable and quality outcomes.
All these have significantly increased the success rate of heart treatment in India.
How can we help in the treatment?
If you are in search of a heart valve replacement in India, we will serve as your guide throughout your treatment in India and will be physically present with you even before your treatment begins. The following will be provided to you:
- Opinions of expert physicians and surgeons
- Transparent communication
- Coordinated care
- Prior appointment with specialists
- Assistance in hospital formalities
- 24*7 availability
- Arrangement for travel
- Assistance for accommodation and healthy recovery
- Assistance in emergencies
We are dedicated to offering the highest quality health care to our patients. We have a team of highly qualified and devoted health professionals that will be by your side from the beginning of your journey.
Conclusion-By simply packing their medical tour to India, pediatric cardiac treatment can substantially benefit the patient. We also offer a comprehensive range of counseling for coping with emotional changes to our international patients.