When Should You Consider Back Surgery?
Dealing with chronic back pain can be frustrating, especially when it affects our daily lives. And if you’ve tried all the medications and other non-surgical treatment options, then you should consider back or spinal surgery to get a better outcome. There are various types of back surgeries performed by our expert orthopedics. However, a few of them are effective enough to correct a battery of back problems causing pain. Here we’ve discussed the same briefly, so you can get an idea before undergoing back surgery.
Book free consulting session with HealthTrip expert
When should you consider back surgery?
Back surgery often helps in relieving the pain and numbness that goes down one or both legs.
Compressed nerves in your spine are frequently the source of these symptoms. Nerve compression can occur for a variety of reasons, including:
- Bulging or ruptured (herniated) disks — the rubbery cushions that separate your spine's bones — can sometimes press too tightly against a spinal nerve, impairing its function.
- Bone spurs on your spine can be caused by osteoarthritis. This extra bone most commonly affects the hinge joints at the back of the spinal column and can reduce the space available for nerves to pass through openings in your spine.
- Even if your X-rays reveal that you have disk issues or bone spurs, it can be challenging to pinpoint the precise cause of your back pain.
You should consult all the available treatment options with your surgeon. If you have any queries related to the type of surgery, ask your doctor without any hesitation.
What are the most commonly performed back surgeries that you should know about?
The following are the common types of disc surgeries that can be performed by our expert orthopedics.
- Spinal Fusion: This is one of the most commonly performed procedures. When someone has back pain, it is usually triggered when the joint is in motion. During a spinal fusion procedure, the surgeon will fuse the bones of the spine, or vertebrae, together to prevent motion. When the vertebrae are fused, the joint becomes immobile and the pain is relieved.
While this method is effective for pain relief, it cannot be used on multiple areas of the spine. Because the spine provides motion to the body, if multiple vertebrae have been fused, the resulting limited motion will be a problem and may even cause additional pain.
- Discectomy: If you have a herniated disc, you may be a candidate for a discectomy. These spinal discs serve as shock absorbers and provide cushioning between the vertebrae. When one of these discs slips out of place, bulges, and herniates, it can put intense pressure on the spinal nerve, causing back pain. A surgeon will remove all or part of the disc to relieve the pain.
- Laminectomy: The surgeon will remove the lamina, which is a part of the bone that makes up the vertebrae in your spine, during a laminectomy. This procedure may also remove bone spurs or ligaments in the back. Extra space in the spinal column is created by removing these bones, bone spurs, or ligaments. With this extra space, the pressure on the spinal nerve is relieved, and the patient no longer experiences pain or weakness.
In some cases, a large portion of bone must be removed, which can cause spinal instability. When this occurs, a spinal fusion may be required. This surgery is ideal for patients who are suffering from severe, chronic pain or who are facing the loss of function due to boney spurs.
How can we help with the treatment?
If you are in search of disc surgery for your back in India, we will serve as your guide throughout your spinal surgery treatment and will be physically present with you even before your medical treatment begins. The following will be provided to you:
- Opinions of expert physicians and surgeons
- Transparent communication
- Coordinated care
- Prior appointment with specialists
- Assistance with hospital formalities
- 24*7 availability
- Arrangement for travel
- Assistance for accommodation and healthy recovery
- Assistance in emergencies
We are dedicated to offering the highest quality health care to our patients. We have a team of highly qualified and devoted health trip advisors that will be by your side from the beginning of your journey.