What is Thalassemia and how does it affect an individual?
Book free consulting session with HealthTrip expert
People who suffer from Thalassemia are unable to perform any strenuous activity as their body gets exhausted quite soon and they feel very tired, weak and have difficulty in breathing.
Symptoms of thalassemia:
There are different types of thalassemia and individuals suffering from different type of thalassemia may have different symptoms altogether. Therefore, one can say that a symptoms for Thalassemia may vary from person to person depending upon their condition and type of Thalassemia still some of the most common symptoms may include:
- Dark colored urine
- Kidney infection
- Bone deformities especially in face
- Delayed growth and development
- Yellow or pale skin
- Abdominal swelling
- Heavy breathing
- Muscle pain
- Muscle cramps
- Feeling cold
- Poor appetite
- Heart problems
- Brittle bones
- Enlarged spleen
If you feel weak and are unable to perform daily activity then you must see a doctor. Initially, the doctor will examine you, ask your symptoms and perform a physical examination based upon which the doctor might recommend several tests in order to find out the exact problem. The Doctor may recommend:
- Complete blood count or CBC that shows the hemoglobin count and other essential components of the blood.
- In order to verify the doctor may also require an electrophoresis test that shows hemoglobin specifically.
- In case of pregnancy, genetic testing can help in identifying if a person carries any gene that may cause thalassemia.
- If it is confirmed that you are suffering from Thalassemia then an expert hematologist will examine your blood so that you can get proper treatment.
The treatment of Thalassemia depends upon the condition of the patient in mild cases the doctor may advise healthy diet and Lifestyle changes along with multivitamins and supplements.
But in severe cases the treatment may include:
- Blood transfusion
- Chelation therapy
- Bone marrow transplant
- Stem cell infusion
- Surgery to remove spleen
How can we help with the treatment?
The following will be provided to you:
- Expert oncologist, surgeon, physician, hematologist, therapist and doctors
- Transparent communication
- Coordinated assistance at all times
- Prior appointments with specialists and follow up queries
- Assistance with medical tests
- Assistance in follow up queries
- Assistance with hospital formalities
- 24*7 availability
- Assistance with therapies
- Travel arrangements
- Assistance for accommodation and healthy recovery
- Assistance in emergencies
Our team offers you the highest quality health trips and after care for our patients. Further, we have a team of expert healthcare professionals who are always available and ready to assist you throughout your medical journey.