Understanding the Symptoms of Nasopharyngeal Cancer
Nasopharyngeal carcinoma is a disorder in which malignant (cancer) cells originate in the nasopharynx. This has an impact on the tissue that connects the back of your nose to the rear of your mouth. When you inhale via your nose, air passes through your nose, nasopharynx, and throat before reaching your lungs. Nasopharyngeal cancer develops when cells in this location begin to proliferate uncontrollably. Here we’ve discussed in brief the several nasopharyngeal cancer symptoms along with their medical treatment protocol.
Book free consulting session with HealthTrip expert
What are the symptoms associated with nasopharyngeal cancer (NPC) symptoms?
Most people with nasopharyngeal cancer (NPC) notice a lump or mass in their neck, which prompts them to seek medical attention. Lumpiness on both sides of the neck towards the back is possible. Typically, the bumps are not tender or unpleasant. They are caused by cancer spreading to the lymph nodes in the neck, which swell. Lymph nodes are glands or structures that house immune system cell collections. They can be found all over the body. They are often smaller than the size of a pea.
Also, Read - Esophageal Cancer Symptoms
Other probable NPC symptoms include:
Hearing loss, ringing in the ears, pain, or a sensation of fullness in the ear are all symptoms of a hearing problem (especially on one side only).
- Ear infections that keep recurring
- Nasal congestion or stuffiness
Also, Read - Voice Hoarseness Treatment - Symptoms, Prevention
How does nasopharyngeal cancer spread?
Cancer cells frequently spread to surrounding lymph nodes in the neck once the main tumor has established itself in the nasopharynx. Cancer then spreads to other parts of the body, such as the liver, lungs, bones, or lymph nodes.
When should you visit a physician?
Early nasopharyngeal cancer symptoms do not usually necessitate a visit to the doctor. However, if you detect any odd and persistent changes in your body that do not appear to be normal, such as significant nasal congestion, consult your doctor.
Risk factors associated with NPC:
Researchers have attempted to determine why nasopharyngeal cancer is more prevalent in this region. They investigated aspects such as nutrition, lifestyle practices, and heredity. Some of their most recent findings are listed below:
- Over the last three decades, the number of people diagnosed with nasopharyngeal cancer has declined. One possible explanation is a decrease in the eating of salted fish, which contains cancer-causing chemicals. You can also reduce your intake of salt-cured foods you eat or cut back on these foods altogether.
- Several studies on genetic polymorphisms have found a link between differences in the HLA gene cluster and the incidence of nasopharyngeal cancer.
- Other risk factors for nasopharyngeal cancer include increasing age and a history of heavy drinking.
- Nasopharyngeal cancer can occasionally be caused by human papillomavirus (HPV) infection.
Also, Read - Pinched Nerve: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
How can we help with the treatment?
If you are in search of nasopharyngeal cancer treatment in India, we will serve as your guide throughout your treatment and will be physically present with you even before it begins. The following will be provided to you:
- Opinions of expert physicians and surgeons
- Transparent communication
- Coordinated care
- Prior appointment with specialists
- Assistance with hospital formalities
- 24*7 availability
- Arrangements for travel
- Assistance for accommodation and healthy recovery
- Assistance in emergencies
Our team is dedicated to offering the highest quality health trip and care to our patients. We have a team of highly qualified and devoted health professionals that will be by your side from the beginning of your journey.