When Psoriatic Arthritis and Crohn's Disease Strike Together
Exploring Psoriatic Arthritis and Crohn's Disease
With some medical conditions, you end up having double trouble. And this can happen with psoriatic arthritis and autoimmune gut disorders, i.e., Crohn's disease. Here we’ve discussed the strong correlation between psoriasis and Crohn's disease and the treatment approach for the same.
Book free consulting session with HealthTrip expert
Understanding the disease: psoriatic arthritis
Psoriatic arthritis is a type of arthritis that occurs in some people who have psoriasis, a disease that causes red patches of skin covered in silvery scales. Most people get psoriasis years before they get psoriatic arthritis. However, for some people, joint problems appear before or at the same time as skin patches appear to develop.
What is Crohn's disease?
Crohn's disease is an inflammatory bowel disorder (IBD). It causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which can lead to abdominal pain, severe diarrhea, exhaustion, and malnutrition.
Individuals with Crohn's disease may experience different digestive tract inflammatory symptoms. Frequently, the deeper layers of the bowel are also affected by this inflammation.
Understanding the correlation between the two:
Because both conditions are associated with inflammation, the link between Crohn's disease and psoriatic arthritis is particularly strong. They also share a number of genetic mutations, which means that the same genes that predispose someone to psoriasis can also predispose them to gut disorders.
Also, Read - Joint Fusion Surgery - Types, Procedure, Recovery
What are the symptoms of such a condition?
Keep an eye out for signs of digestive issues and notify your doctor so you can get tested and, if necessary, change your treatment plan.
Symptoms of Crohn's disease include:
- Cramps in the abdomen
- Blood in your feces
How can you manage both conditions?
- It is often beneficial to have a gastroenterologist and a dermatologist on your health care team. You and your team can decide which treatment is best for you based on the nature and severity of your symptoms, as well as the medication side effects you're willing to accept.
- The same medication may be effective for both your psoriasis and IBD. However, some biologic medications are more likely than others to cause an IBD flare in someone who already has the disease.
- A gluten-free diet has helped some people clear their psoriasis lesions and manage inflammatory bowel disease. Furthermore, going gluten-free has helped people who test positive for gluten sensitivity despite not having any celiac symptoms or signs of the disease.
- Healthy habits, such as a nutritious diet and regular exercise, can help you feel better, reduce the likelihood of flares, and improve treatment outcomes. Of course, follow the directions on your medication.
- Avoid smoking and limit your alcohol consumption. Find ways to relax, such as joining a support group.
As it becomes clear that the skin and joint symptoms of PsA(psoriatic arthritis) and the intestinal symptoms of Crohn's are related and linked to inflammation, doctors from various fields are beginning to collaborate more in treating patients, with better results.
However, patients should also understand that these two conditions can be interrelated. So that they can connect the two and report their symptoms accordingly to their doctor.
How can we help with the treatment?
If you are in search of a treatment for psoriatic arthritis along with inflammatory bowel disease in India, we will serve as your guide throughout your medical treatment in India and will be physically present with you even before it begins. The following will be provided to you:
- Opinions of expert physicians and surgeons
- Transparent communication
- Coordinated care
- Prior appointment with specialists
- Assistance with hospital formalities
- 24*7 availability
- Arrangements for travel
- Assistance for accommodation and healthy recovery
- Assistance in emergencies
Our team is dedicated to offering the highest quality health trip and services to our patients. At HealthTrip, We have a team of highly qualified and devoted health professionals that will be by your side from the beginning of your journey.