Lung Transplant In India- Procedure, Cost, Advancements All You Need To Know
Damaged lungs can make it difficult for the body to get the oxygen it needs to function. There are numerous diseases and conditions that either completely destroy the lungs or impair their ability to function properly. In such cases, a lung transplant can improve both longevity and quality of life. However, lung transplant surgery is a complex procedure that necessitates cutting-edge equipment and care. Here we will get to know about the procedure, expected result, lung transplant cost in India, and many more.
Book free consulting session with HealthTrip expert
What is a lung transplant?
A lung transplant is a surgical procedure that replaces a patient's diseased lung with a healthy donor lung. When a patient has severe or advanced chronic lung disease, this improves their quality of life and extends their lifespan. A lung transplant can be done on either one or both lungs.
Why do you need to undergo a lung transplant?
A lung transplant may be recommended for people -
- who have a serious lung problem that cannot be improved with other treatments
- Without a transplant, if the patient has a life expectancy of only 12-24 months.
Patients with the following conditions may also require a transplant:
- Sarcoidosis is an inflammatory disease that affects several body organs, primarily the lungs and lymph glands.
- COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) is a group of progressive lung diseases that commonly include emphysema and chronic bronchitis.
- Cystic fibrosis is a genetic disorder that causes mucus production as well as other body secretions such as sweat and digestive fluids. In this condition, mucus and other body secretions thicken and stick together, causing lung damage.
- Emphysema is a condition in which the walls of the lung's air sacs (alveoli) are damaged as a result of cigarette smoke and other irritating matter or gasses.
- Pulmonary fibrosis is a chronic and progressive lung disease in which the air sac stiffens and scars.
- Pulmonary hypertension is a condition in which the arteries supplying blood to the lungs narrow and thicken, resulting in elevated blood pressure. As a result, the heart has to work harder to pump blood to the lungs, which eventually leads to heart failure.
How is lung transplantation performed?
- You will be thoroughly examined prior to surgery to assess your overall health status and ensure you are fit to undergo the procedure.
- Your doctor will go over all of the dos and don'ts that you must follow both before and after the lung transplant.
- On the day of your lung transplant, you will be taken to the operating room and sedated.
- Intubation tubes will be used to assist you in breathing.
- Your surgeon will open the chest, cut the main airway and blood vessels, and remove the diseased lung.
- The chest will then be closed and a healthy donor lung will be connected.
Expected outcome after lung transplant:
A lung transplant can significantly improve a person's quality of life. Most people live for at least ten years after receiving a lung transplant.
Can a patient survive without a lung transplant?
A lung transplant can drastically improve the survival rate of a patient having end-stage lung disease. As suggested by an expert, the patients with End-Stage Lung Disease have a 10% chance of living for one year, compared to a 10% chance of living for 20 years with a successful lung transplant operation.
How can an air ambulance help in lung transplantation?
In recent times, during the COVID era, the need for emergency lung transplantation has emerged. In India, there are a few centers that can perform the procedure with the help of ECMO(Extra Corporeal Membrane Oxygenation) or artificial lungs.
Patients from various parts of India are airlifted and transported to these Lung Transplant centers. Similarly, organs must be transferred from various locations to these centers in order for lung transplantations to be successful.
This burden has grown over the last two to three years and it is now more important than ever to have chartered planes and helicopters available for such transplant emergencies.
Why should you consider getting a Lung Transplant in India?
If you're looking for the best place to get your lung transplant, you can find some of the best lung transplant hospitals in India, offering cutting-edge interventions that meet international standards.
- Treatment that is inexpensive - The average lung transplant cost in India ranges between 25 and 35 lakhs, but this can vary depending on the type of lung transplant and any complications that arise during the procedure. This is extremely low in comparison to what you would have to pay in any Western country.
- Success rate – India has a high transplant success rate of about 87 percent, making it the top choice of patients for all types of lung transplants.
- Follow-up after surgery- You will be required to stay in the hospital for a few weeks, and your total stay will last a few months, during which time your medical team will thoroughly assess you to avoid any complications. For the first few months, you may need to see your doctor frequently. Doctors will ensure that complications are minimized and that the recovery process is speeding up.
How can we help in the treatment?
If you have been suggested for a lung transplant, we act as your guide throughout your treatment journey and will be present physically with you even before your treatment is started. We will provide you with the following:
- Expert physicians and surgeon’s opinions
- Transparent communication
- Coordinated care
- Prior appointment with specialists
- Assistance in hospital formalities
- 24*7 availability
- Arrangement for medical travel
- Assistance for accommodation and healthy recovery
- Assistance in emergencies
We are committed to provide the best health care services to our patients. We have a team of trained and highly dedicated health experts who will be there by your side right from the beginning of your journey.
Conclusion-A lung transplant is a potentially life-saving procedure that can save the lives of patients suffering from fatal diseases. You can get world-class transplant services in India at a low cost without having to worry about safety precautions or the treatment quality.