Knee Replacement Surgery: A Permanent Solution For Your Chronic Knee Pain
Is it hurting when you go for a walk or while getting out of a chair? Are you concerned about your knee pain and have tried all of your options at home? Even after trying medicines, home remedies, or physical therapies, nothing seems to be effective. Then you should consult your doctor as soon as possible. Your orthopedic surgeon might recommend Knee replacement surgery for you. This will help you to live a quality life and ease out your daily activities. Whether you want to explore the treatment options with your doctor or are planning to undergo knee replacement surgery in India, understanding a few facts will be helpful for you. In this blog, we will discuss the same with an eminent knee replacement specialist in India.
Book free consulting session with HealthTrip expert
What is knee replacement surgery?
Knee replacement surgery or knee arthroplasty can help to reduce pain, and discomfort and restore function in severely damaged knee joints. In this procedure, your surgeon will remove the damaged bone and cartilage from your thigh bone, shinbone, and kneecap and substitute it with an artificial joint (prosthesis) consisting of metal alloys, and high-grade resins, and polymers.
Types of knee replacement available in India-
Your doctor can choose from a variety of knee replacement prostheses and surgical approaches based on your age, knee size, activity level, the extent of damage that has happened, and the overall health of the patient.
- Total knee replacement- Both sides of the knee joint are replaced during surgery. It's the most usual method. The patient will have less pain, discomfort, and more mobility, but scar tissue will develop, making it harder to flex and bend the knees.
- Partial knee replacement- Only one side of the knee joint is replaced with partial replacement. The incision is smaller since less bone is removed, but it does not last as long as a total knee replacement. There is less blood loss, and the chances of developing an infection and blood clot formation are reduced.
Why do you need to undergo knee replacement surgery?
Following are the reasons that require knee replacement surgery as a treatment option. If you are suffering from-
- Unbearable knee pain and joint stiffness
- Knee deformity like knock knee or bowing out of the knee
- Chronic(long-standing) knee swelling or knee joint inflammation
- If the knee pain does not improve with medicines and rest
- The patient has a history of osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, or post-traumatic arthritis.
Also, read - 6 Best Knee Replacement Hospitals in India
How is knee replacement surgery performed?
You will be under the effect of general anesthesia during the procedure-
- At first, an 8-10 inches long cut is placed over your knee.
- Cut the ends of your thigh and shin (lower leg) bones to fit the replacement portion after moving your kneecap (patella) out of the way.
- Your surgeon will prepare the underside of your kneecap for the new pieces.
- Attach the two halves of the prosthesis to your bones. The end of your thigh bone will be joined to one part, while the other will be attached to your shin bone. Bone cement or screws might be used to join the parts.
- Close the surgical wound and repair your muscles and tendons around the new joint.
What can you expect after the procedure?
For one to two hours, you'll be brought to a recovery room. The length of your stay after surgery is determined by your specific needs. Many people can return on the very same day. Pain should be managed with the help of medications prescribed by your doctor.
You'll be encouraged to exercise your foot and ankle, which helps avoid swelling and blood clots by increasing blood flow to your leg muscles. To further protect against swelling and clotting, you'll probably be given blood thinners and asked to wear compression boots.
What are the benefits of undergoing such a procedure?
- In the majority of cases, patients have relief from knee discomfort, greater walking abilities, and a higher quality of life following knee replacement surgery.
- The patient is able to resume all normal everyday activities 1 to 2 months after surgery.
- After a month, the patient is safe to drive.
- After the patient has fully recovered, he or she is permitted to engage in low-impact activities such as swimming, walking, biking, or golfing.
- However, the doctor advises against engaging in rigorous activities such as jogging, weight lifting, running, and other similar activities.
Why should you consider getting a knee replacement in India?
For the following reasons, India is the most popular destination for orthopedic surgery treatment.
- India's cutting-edge technology,
- medical expertise,
- Affordable treatment cost
- Success rate
- Post-surgical follow-ups
Our patients need high-quality and cost-effective health care that we can provide effectively in comparison to other countries around the globe.
How can we help you out with the treatment?
If you are in need to get knee replacement surgery in India, we act as your guide throughout your treatment journey and will be present physically with you even before your treatment is started. We will provide you with the following:
- Expert physicians and surgeon’s opinions
- Transparent communication
- Coordinated care
- Prior appointment with specialists
- Assistance in hospital formalities
- 24*7 availability
- Arrangement for travel
- Assistance for accommodation and healthy recovery
- Assistance in emergencies
We are committed to providing the best health care services to our patients. We have a team of trained and highly dedicated health experts who will be there by your side right from the beginning of your journey.