Information for Kidney Stone Laser Treatment in India
Book free consulting session with HealthTrip expert
Laser treatment for kidney stones is a minimally invasive procedure that uses a laser to break up large kidney stones into smaller pieces. The laser is inserted into the ureter through a small incision and directed towards the stone. The laser then emits high-energy pulses that break up the stone into tiny fragments that can be easily passed out of the body through the urine.
This procedure is typically done under general anaesthesia and takes about an hour to complete. After the procedure, patients are monitored for a few hours before being discharged. Most patients can resume their normal activities within a few days of the procedure.
Advantages of Laser Treatment for Kidney Stones
Laser treatment for kidney stones has several advantages over traditional surgical methods. Some of the most significant benefits of this treatment include:
1. Non-Invasive: Laser treatment for kidney stones is a non-invasive procedure, meaning it does not require any incisions or cuts. This makes it a much safer and less painful option than traditional surgical methods.
2. Faster Recovery: Patients who undergo laser treatment for kidney stones typically recover faster than those who undergo traditional surgery. Most patients can return to their normal activities within a few days of the procedure.
3. Reduced Complications: Because laser treatment is a non-invasive procedure, there is a reduced risk of complications such as bleeding, infection, and scarring.
4. High Success Rate: Laser treatment for kidney stones has a high success rate and is effective in breaking up even large stones. This means that patients are less likely to require additional treatments or surgeries.
5. Minimal Pain and Discomfort: Laser treatment for kidney stones is a minimally invasive procedure that causes minimal pain and discomfort. Patients may experience some discomfort during the procedure, but this can be managed with pain medication.
Laser Treatment for Kidney Stones in India
India has emerged as a popular destination for medical tourism, and laser treatment for kidney stones is one of the many medical procedures that foreign patients come to India for. The country has some of the most advanced medical facilities and highly skilled medical professionals who are trained to perform this procedure with the utmost precision and care. The cost of laser treatment for kidney stones in India is also significantly lower than in many other countries. This makes it an affordable option for patients who are looking for high-quality medical care at a fraction of the cost.
The Procedure for Laser Treatment for Kidney Stones in India
The procedure for laser treatment for kidney stones in India is similar to that in other countries. Before the procedure, patients will undergo a thorough medical examination to determine the size and location of the stone. This information will help the medical team determine the best approach for the Procedure. During the procedure, the patient will be given general anaesthesia to ensure they remain comfortable and pain-free. The surgeon will then insert a thin tube with a camera attached, called a Ureteroscopy, into the urethra and up into the bladder and ureter. Once the stone is located, a laser is inserted through the Ureteroscopy and used to break up the stone into smaller pieces. After the procedure, patients will be monitored for a few hours before being discharged. They will be advised to drink plenty of fluids And given pain medication if needed. Most patients can resume their normal activities within a few days of the procedure.
Risks and Complications
Like any medical procedure, laser treatment for kidney stones does carry some risks and potential complications. These include:
1. Bleeding: There is a risk of bleeding during the procedure, but this is usually minor and can be managed with medication.
2. Infection: There is a risk of infection following the procedure, but this can be minimised by taking antibiotics before and after the procedure.
3. Urinary Tract Injury: There is a small risk of injury to the urinary tract during the procedure, but this is rare and can usually be treated with medication or surgery.
4. Residual Stone Fragments: In some cases, small fragments of the stone may be left behind after the procedure. These fragments may need to be removed through additional procedures.
5. Obstruction: In rare cases, the fragments of the stone may become lodged in the ureter or bladder, causing obstruction. This can be treated with additional procedures.
It is important to discuss the risks and potential complications of the procedure with your doctor before deciding to undergo laser treatment for kidney stones.
After undergoing laser treatment for kidney stones, it is important to take care of yourself to ensure a smooth recovery. Some tips for post-procedure care are as follows:
1. Stay hydrated: Drinking plenty of fluids can help flush out any remaining stone fragments and prevent new stones from forming.
2. Take pain medication: If you experience any pain or discomfort after the procedure, your doctor may prescribe pain medication to help manage the symptoms.
3. Follow a healthy diet: Eating a healthy diet that is low in salt and animal protein can help reduce the risk of new stones forming.
4. Follow your doctor's instructions: Your doctor will provide you with specific instructions for post-procedure care, including when to resume normal activities and when to follow up with them.
Laser treatment for kidney stones is safe and effective procedures that can help patients recover quickly and comfortably. In India, this treatment is widely available and affordable, making it an attractive option for patients who are looking for high-quality medical care at a fraction of the cost. While the procedure does carry some risks and potential complications, these can be minimised by choosing skilled and experienced medical professionals and following post-procedure care instructions carefully. If you are suffering from kidney stones, laser treatment may be an effective option for you to consider.