IVF Treatment, Cost, Procedure and Success Rate in India
Book free consulting session with HealthTrip expert
The cost of IVF treatment in India varies depending on the clinic, the type of treatment required, and the location of the clinic. The average cost of a single IVF cycle in India is around INR 1,50,000 to INR 2,50,000. However, the cost can vary depending on additional treatments required, such as intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) or preimplantation genetic testing (PGT).
The cost of IVF treatment in India is generally lower than in many other countries, such as the United States or Europe. This makes India a popular destination for medical tourism, with many couples travelling to India for IVF treatment at a lower cost.
Procedure of IVF Treatment in India:
The procedure of IVF treatment in India is similar to that of other countries. The following are the steps involved in IVF treatment:
- Ovarian Stimulation: The first step of IVF treatment involves the use of medications to stimulate the ovaries to produce multiple eggs. This is done to increase the chances of fertilisation and implantation. The patient is closely monitored during this process with regular ultrasound scans and blood tests.
- Egg Retrieval: Once the follicles in the ovaries are mature, the eggs are retrieved using a needle guided by ultrasound. Typically, sedation or general anesthesia are used to accomplish this treatment.
- Fertilisation: The retrieved eggs are then fertilized with sperm in a laboratory dish. This can be done using conventional IVF or ICSI, depending on the specific needs of the patient.
- Embryo Transfer: The resulting embryos are then transferred into the woman's uterus, usually 3 to 5 days after fertilisation. This procedure is performed using a catheter inserted through the cervix.
- Gestation Test: gestation test roughly two weeks after the embryo transfer, a gestation test is performed to determine if the treatment has been successful.
Success Rate of IVF Treatment in India:
The success rate of IVF treatment in India varies depending on several factors, including the age of the patient, the quality of the eggs and sperm, and the number of embryos transferred. The success rates of IVF treatment in India are generally similar to those of other countries.
The Indian Society of Assisted Reproduction (ISAR) performed research that found that the average success rate of IVF therapy in India is between 30% and 35%. However, this success rate can vary depending on the age of the patient. For example, the success rate of IVF treatment for women under 35 years of age is around 40%, while the success rate for women over 40 years of age is around 15%.
Increasing the Success Rate of IVF Treatment Through:
In India, there are several techniques to raise the success rate of IVF therapy, including:
- Preimplantation Genetic Testing (PGT): PGT can be used to screen embryos for chromosomal abnormalities before they are transferred to the uterus. The likelihood of a successful pregnancy may rise as a result.
- Blastocyst Culture: Blastocyst culture involves allowing the embryos to develop for a longer period in the laboratory before they are transferred to the uterus. This can help to select the healthiest embryos for transfer, increasing the chances of a successful pregnancy.
- Frozen Embryo Transfer (FET): FET involves freezing the embryos that are not transferred during the initial cycle and transferring them in a subsequent cycle. This can increase the chances of a successful pregnancy without the need for further ovarian stimulation.
- Lifestyle Changes: Making healthy lifestyle changes, such as quitting smoking, reducing alcohol consumption, maintaining a healthy weight, and reducing stress, can also increase the chances of a successful pregnancy.
It is important to note that IVF treatment success rates can vary depending on individual circumstances, and it is important to speak to a fertility specialist to determine the best course of treatment for each individual case.
IVF Treatment in India – Risks and Limitations:
While IVF treatment is generally safe and effective, there are some risks and limitations associated with the procedure. The risks of IVF treatment include:
- Multiple Pregnancies: IVF treatment can increase the chances of having multiple pregnancies, which can increase the risk of complications for both the mother and the babies.
- Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome (OHSS): OHSS is a rare but potentially serious complication that can occur as a result of ovarian stimulation. Symptoms can include bloating, abdominal pain, and shortness of breath.
- Ectopic Pregnancy: IVF treatment can increase the risk of ectopic pregnancy, which occurs when the fertilized egg implants outside the uterus.
In addition to these risks, there are also some limitations to IVF treatment in India. One limitation is the availability of donor eggs and sperm, which can be limited in some clinics. Another limitation is the lack of regulations and oversight in the IVF industry in India, which can lead to unethical practices in some clinics.
IVF treatment is a popular option for couples struggling with infertility in India. The cost of IVF treatment in India is generally lower than in many other countries, making it a popular destination for medical tourism. The success rate of IVF treatment in India is generally similar to that of other countries, and there are several ways to increase the success rate of treatment.
While IVF treatment is generally safe and effective, there are some risks and limitations associated with the procedure. It is important to speak to a fertility specialist to determine the best course of treatment for each individual case and to ensure that the treatment is conducted in a safe and ethical manner.
Overall, IVF treatment in India can provide hope for couples struggling with infertility and can help them to achieve their dream of having a child.