Is Pericardiectomy surgery a complicated procedure?
Book free consulting session with HealthTrip expert
- It prevents the heart from stretching too much.
- It prevents the heart from overfilling.
- It lubricates the heart in order to prevent friction while pumping.
Why is pericardiectomy required?
Pericardiectomy is majorly required for constrictive pericarditis which is the condition in which the pericardium becomes calcified and stiff.
Now due to the stiffness it affects the functioning of the heart. The stiffness obstructs the function of the heart as its stretch ability decreases; this further causes complications such as
- The heart chamber does not fill completely
- The blood flows backwards from the heart to the lungs.
- It causes swelling in the legs and abdomen.
- Obstructs the blood flow
- Decreases heart function
- Inability of the heart to pump blood
- Risk of Heart failure
- Risk of stroke
Pericardiectomy surgery and its recovery:
Initially the anesthesiologist provides anesthesia so that the patient is asleep during the entire surgery. Then the cardiac surgeon makes an incision through the sternum or the best bone which is also known as median sternotomy. Therefore, it is an open heart surgery. Then the surgeon removed the pericardium from the heart very carefully.Then everything is sealed back with absolute precision.
In most cases pericardiectomy is an open heart surgery as it allows the surgeon to see the entire heart and remove the pericardium properly. By using minimally invasive techniques the doctor cannot remove the entire pericardium properly.
The recovery process usually varies from person to person and it generally takes six to eight weeks. Regular follow up is recommended by the doctor to see the progress of recovery and also observe if there is any side effect or complication after the surgery.
Pericardiectomy survival rate:
According to various studies it is seen that over 80% of people who have gone through a Pericardiectomy have a successful surgery. They are able to live longer( 5-10 years) and have a good quality of life.
Pericardiectomy surgery cost:
The cost for pericardiectomy varies from hospital to hospital and other factors such as bed charges, ICU charges, cost of medication, consultation fee, surgery fee of the doctor etc. Still the average cost of Pericardiectomy surgery varies from 1,50,000-2,90,000 INR.
How can we help with the treatment?
If you are looking for Pericardiectomy surgery in India then be assured as our team will assist you and guide you through the entire process of your medical treatment.
The following will be provided to you:
- Expert cardiologist , doctors and surgeon
- Transparent communication
- Coordinated assistance
- Prior appointments with specialists and follow up queries
- Assistance with medical tests
- Assistance in follow up queries
- Assistance with hospital formalities
- 24*7 availability
- Assistance with therapies
- Travel arrangements
- Assistance for accommodation and healthy recovery
- Assistance in emergencies
Our team offers you a high quality health trip and one of the best after care to our patients. We also have a team of dedicated health professionals who are always available to assist you throughout your medical journey.