Is bariatric surgery an effective method for weight loss?
Book free consulting session with HealthTrip expert
Therefore, in such cases, bariatric surgery is the only method that can rescue them from their deteriorating health. In Bariatric surgery, the surgeon tries to reduce the size of the stomach so that only a small quantity of food can enter and stay in the stomach for digestion as a result the individual feels full after eating a small quantity of food and it helps in weight loss and maintaining it.
Conditions that require bariatric surgery
Obesity is one of the primary reasons why a person goes for bariatric surgery. Still, there are other chronic diseases that could be life-threatening for a person for which weight loss is an essential requirement. Some of the conditions that require bariatric surgery include:
- High blood cholesterol- a prime reason for blockage that leads to heart attack
- High blood sugar level- causes diabetes, damages blood vessels, tissues, organs, etc
- High blood pressure or hypertension- leads to heart disease, and damages blood vessels and heart muscles.
- Type 2 diabetes- excess of fat can lead to insulin resistance
- Heart disease
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease
- Kidney disease
Also, read - Weight Loss Surgery Diet Before and After
Types of Bariatric surgery
It is also known as Roux-en-Y, in which the surgeon tries to create a small pouch at the top of the stomach and separates it from the lower portion with the help of surgical staples. Then the surgeon divides the small intestine and brings the new segment to connect up to the small pouch. As a result, the food bypasses most of the intestine and directly leads to the lower portion of the intestine which restricts the amount of food stored in the stomach and the absorption of food.
Gastric sleeve surgery:
Gastric surgery is also known as sleeve gastrectomy which is a common bariatric surgical procedure. In this, the surgeons remove almost 80% of the stomach and leave behind a small part of the stomach that looks like a sleeve. As a result, the amount of food that they consume reduces and it makes them feel fuller faster. Also, it helps in maintaining metabolism, reducing appetite, and regulating blood sugar levels.
Biliopancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch or BPD-DS
This surgery is a combination of sleeve gastrectomy and intestinal bypass surgery. In this procedure, most of the stomach and small intestine are bypassed. This also helps in reducing hunger hormones, restricting the quantity of food and absorption. It is one of the most effective methods of surgery for weight loss that also helps in improving several chronic diseases.
Also, read - Is gastric sleeve surgery effective for weight loss?
Advantages of bariatric surgery
- Maintains Blood sugar level
- Improves quality of life
- Improves overall health
- Significant and effective method for weight loss
- Reduces hunger hormones
- Improves body metabolism
- Reduces cholesterol
- Reduces risk of heart diseases
- Reduces risk of kidney disease
How can we help with the treatment?
If you are looking for Bariatric surgery in India then be assured as our team will assist you and guide you throughout your medical treatment.
The following will be provided to you:
- Expert gastroenterologists, doctors, and surgeon
- Transparent communication
- Coordinated assistance
- Prior appointments with specialists and follow-up queries
- Assistance with medical tests
- Assistance in follow-up queries
- Assistance with hospital formalities
- 24*7 availability
- Assistance with therapy
- Travel arrangements
- Assistance for accommodation and healthy recovery
- Assistance in emergencies