Understanding Complications of Aortic Valve Replacement Surgery
Aortic valve repair and replacement are treatments for a damaged or diseased aortic valve.
Book free consulting session with HealthTrip expert
Risk or complications associated with aortic valve replacement:
Complications are more likely in older people and those who are habitually in poor health.
Possible issues include:
- Infection - wound infections, lung infections, bladder infections, and heart valve infections are all possible (endocarditis). Antibiotics may be prescribed to lessen this risk.
- Excessive bleeding - tubes may be placed in your chest to drain the blood, and additional surgery may be required to halt the bleeding.
- Clots in the blood are more prevalent if you have had a mechanical valve replacement. If you are at risk, you will be given anticoagulant medication.
- Stroke or transient ischemic attack (TIA) - a condition in which the blood supply to the brain is cut off.
- The valve may wear out; this is especially prevalent in those who have had a biological valve replacement for a long time.
- Irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia) — this affects approximately 25% of people following aortic valve replacement and normally resolves with time. However, 1 to 2% of people will require a pacemaker to manage their heartbeat.
- Up to 5% of people's kidneys do not function properly for the first few days after surgery. Temporary dialysis may be required in a few circumstances.
Also, Read - Aortic Valve Replacement Cost and Types
What are the precautionary measures you need to follow after aortic heart valve replacement?
Regular health exams are usually required to monitor your heart status and look for issues such as valve failure. Imaging tests may be performed to ensure that the aortic valve is functioning properly.
Following heart valve surgery, it is critical to maintaining a heart-healthy lifestyle. The following lifestyle modifications may be suggested by your doctor:
- Regular physical activity
- Weight management
- Eating a nutritious diet
- Stress management
- Smoking cessation
Your doctor may also advise you to participate in a cardiac rehabilitation program, which combines education and exercise, to help you recover from aortic valve surgery.
Also, Read - Hip Replacement Surgery 101: A Guide for Patients
How can we help with the treatment?
If you are in search of heart valve replacement treatment in India, we will serve as your guide throughout your medical treatment and will be physically present with you even before it begins. The following will be provided to you:
- Opinions of expert physicians and surgeons
- Transparent communication
- Coordinated care
- Prior appointment with specialists
- Assistance with hospital formalities
- 24*7 availability
- Arrangements for travel
- Assistance for accommodation and healthy recovery
- Assistance in emergencies
Our team is dedicated to offering the highest quality health trip and care to our patients. We have a team of highly qualified and devoted health professionals that will be by your side from the beginning of your journey.