Getting Familiar With Oncology Tests- How Helpful Are They?
‘Cancer is curable, only if treated in early stages. This can create a healthy dose of fear within us.
Book free consulting session with HealthTrip expert
Studies demonstrate that oncology tests can save lives by detecting cancer early in some selective cancers. For other malignancies, screening tests are only suggested for persons who are at a higher risk.
But before going through such oncology tests, you should learn about the same. So that you can take an informed decision with your doctor. Continue reading!
What is an oncology test?
An oncology test is a broad word that refers to a number of examinations that can discover early cancer indications before any related symptoms occur.
This helps to detect cancer earlier, allowing for more effective therapy.
What are the various tests that you may need to undergo to diagnose cancer?
Your doctor may use one or more ways for diagnosing cancer depending on the duration of symptoms, the patient is suffering from. This includes-
- Blood tests
- Tissues tests like flow cytometry
- Imaging tests
- Urine analysis
- Tumor markers
Let's know about each of them in brief detail-
- Blood tests- Blood tests are important in the diagnosis and treatment of cancer.
Blood tests are useful not only for determining your overall health, including kidney and liver function, but the presence of particular chemicals and proteins in the blood can also aid your doctor in cancer diagnosis.
While blood tests cannot be used to identify cancer on their own, they can help guide diagnosis and treatment options when combined with other cancer diagnostic testing such as imaging.
Some of these tests are-
-CBC test (complete blood test)
-CTC test( circulating tumor cell test)
- Imaging tests-Noninvasive imaging examinations help your doctor to inspect your bones and internal organs as well.
Computed tomography (CT) scan, bone scan, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), positron emission tomography (PET) scan, ultrasound, and X-ray are some of the imaging techniques used to diagnose cancer.
- Tissue tests like flow cytometry- This test is used to detect and classify malignancies including leukemia and lymphoma.
- Flow cytometry can be employed in the stem cell transplantation procedure as well.
-The properties of cells in a sample of bone marrow, lymph nodes, or blood are measured using flow cytometry.
-The sample is first treated with antibodies before being exposed to a laser beam. When antibodies bind to cells, the cells produce light.
The presence of specific molecules on the surface of cells, known as antigens, may aid in cell type identification.
- Urine analysis- Urinalysis, sometimes known as urine testing, can help diagnose cancer. The components of your urine are measured in this kind of diagnostic testing, which includes:
White and red blood cells
-It can aid in the detection of some malignancies.
-Urine cytology is the examination of cells detected in a urine sample.
-Urinalysis can reveal cancer cells in the kidney, prostate, and cervical regions.
- Bladder cancer is the most common type of cancer diagnosed in this method, but kidney, prostate, and cervical cancer cells can also be detected.
Apart from this, urine analysis is also done if multiple myeloma is suspected to detect for myeloma protein in the urine.
- Tumor markers- Tumor markers are the chemicals produced in large quantities in the body when cancer or certain benign diseases are present.
-Blood, urine, stool, and tumor tissue may all include the chemicals.
-The majority of these compounds are proteins, but DNA alterations have also been utilized as tumor indicators.
-Tumor markers cannot be used alone to identify cancer since an increased tumor marker does not always indicate cancer.
In most cases, tumor marker tests are combined with another testing, such as biopsy.
As per the Cancer Treatment Centers of America, a few tumor maker tests that are
helpful for cancer diagnosis are-
- CEA( carcinoembryonic antigen) test
- PSA (prostate specific antigen)test
- CA-125 test
Why should you consider getting cancer treatment in India?
India is the most favored place for cancer treatment operations for a few major reasons. And if you are searching for the best cancer hospital in India, we will help you out to find the same.
- India's cutting-edge reproductive techniques,
- medical skills, and
- Cancer treatment costs in India are among the best in the world, as our patients need affordable and quality outcomes.
All these have significantly increased the success rate of cancer treatment in India.
Conclusion-By simply packing their medical journey to India, cancer treatment can substantially benefit the patient. We also offer a comprehensive range of counseling for coping with emotional changes to our international patients.
How can we help in the treatment?
If you are in search of a cancer treatment hospital in India, we will serve as your guide throughout your treatment and will be physically present with you even before your treatment begins. The following will be provided to you:
- Opinions of expert physicians and surgeons
- Transparent communication
- Coordinated care
- Prior appointment with specialists
- Assistance in hospital formalities
- 24*7 availability
- Arrangement for travel
- Assistance for accommodation and healthy recovery
- Assistance in emergencies
We are dedicated to offering the highest quality health care to our patients. We have a team of highly qualified and devoted health professionals that will be by your side from the beginning of your journey.