Gastric Sleeve Surgery: An Effective Solution For Weight Loss
If you are fed up with eating low-carb, going to the gym on a regular basis but still not losing weight, and finally have decided to undergo weight loss surgery. Then you have plenty of options for yourself. You can explore them along with your doctor. Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy is one such option that is considered safer and offers faster recovery than other obesity surgery treatments. If you want to know more before undergoing such a procedure, then you are on the right page. In this blog, we will discuss the same with our expert doctors in bariatric sleeve surgery in India.
Book free consulting session with HealthTrip expert
What is sleeve gastrectomy surgery?
Your physician will remove a portion of your stomach and narrow it down to a banana-shaped or sleeve-sized stomach during this surgical surgery.
The outer curved side of the stomach, which is also responsible for the generation of appetite-stimulating hormones, is excised in this procedure.
The operation will shrink the size of your stomach by 15%. As a result, even if you only eat a lesser amount of food, you will quickly feel satisfied.
Why do you need to undergo sleeve gastrectomy surgery?
- This is a bariatric or weight loss surgery. It's recommended for people who have tried and failed to lose weight in the past.
- If you are significantly obese and have a BMI of above 40, your doctor may recommend gastric sleeve surgery.
- If you have a BMI of 35 to 40 along with a health condition like sleep apnea, heart disease, diabetes(type2), or high blood pressure your doctor may recommend it.
How will your surgeon perform gastric sleeve surgery?
The surgery is performed in a minimally invasive laparoscopic way. During the operation, you will be under the effect of a general anesthetic, so that you won’t feel any pain.
Your surgeon will perform the surgery in the following way-
- 2 to 5 small cuts (incisions) are made in your tummy by the surgeon.
- These cuts are used to insert the scope and instruments needed for the surgery.
- In the operating room, the camera is attached to a video display. This permits the surgeon to see inside your stomach while doing the procedure.
- To expand the stomach, a non-toxic gas(mostly carbon-di-oxide) is pushed into it. This provides more space to work and your surgeon can get a clearer picture of the operation site.
- Your doctor will remove most parts of your stomach to make a sleeve-like structure out of it.
- Surgical staples are used to fuse the remaining parts of your stomach together. This results in a long vertical tube or a stomach in the shape of a banana.
- The sphincter muscles that allow food to enter and exit the stomach are not cut or changed during surgery.
- The scope as well as other tools are removed on completion of the surgery.
- The cut edges of the stomach are sutured(stitched).
This will take 40-60 minutes to complete the surgery.
How does sleeve gastrectomy help you in weight loss?
As per our surgeon specializing in sleeve gastrectomy surgery in India, a section of your stomach has been removed, you can feel full even after eating a smaller amount of food. As your stomach's capacity has been reduced by nearly a tenth of its previous capacity.
After undergoing this surgery, your eating habits will be altered, which will help you lose weight in the long run.
What can you expect after the sleeve gastrectomy surgery?
- For the first week or two, you'll be on a liquid diet.
- Over the next few weeks, your dietician will provide you with a meal program.
- Each meal must be quite small.
- You should eat slowly and thoroughly chew each bite.
- Don't switch to regular food too soon. You may feel nausea and vomiting.
- Consult your healthcare provider to determine the optimal diet for you. You'll need to adjust your eating habits after your stomach heals.
Weight-loss surgery patients may have difficulty getting enough vitamins and minerals. This is due to the fact that they consume less food and hence absorb fewer nutrients. It's possible that you'll need to take a daily multivitamin, as well as a calcium-vitamin D supplement.
You need to visit your doctor regularly for follow-up, and blood work to make sure that your iron, calcium, vitamin D, and sugar level are in check.
Why should you consider getting sleeve gastrectomy surgery in India?
India is the most favored place for weight loss surgery treatment for three major reasons.
- India's cutting-edge technology,
- medical skills,
- Board-certified and experienced surgeons, a few of them are also nominated with ‘center of excellence awards
- India’s hospitable environment,
- Gastric sleeve surgery costs in India are almost 20-25% of the same surgery cost in other countries, which ensures the quality of weight loss surgery in India is at par with the other countries around the globe.
How can we help in the treatment?
If you need to undergo bariatric treatment in India, we act as your guide throughout your treatment journey and will be present physically with you even before your treatment is started. We will provide you with the following:
- Expert physicians and surgeon’s opinions
- Transparent communication
- Coordinated care
- Prior appointment with specialists
- Assistance in hospital formalities
- 24*7 availability
- Arrangement for travel
- Assistance for accommodation and healthy recovery
- Assistance in emergencies
We are committed to providing the best health care services to our patients. We have a team of trained and highly dedicated health experts who will be there by your side right from the beginning of your journey.
Conclusion- In India, we have world-class hospitals that offer the most advanced weight-loss treatment options that exceed international standards. So, if you're thinking of taking a trip for obesity surgery in India, you can count on us. Our effectiveness as a center for weight loss surgery in India has been demonstrated by our treatment outcomes and patient satisfaction.