Understanding Fundoplication Surgery for GERD and Hiatus Hernia Treatment
Book free consulting session with HealthTrip expert
What is Fundoplication Surgeryand How Does it Work?
Fundoplication is one of the most commonly performed surgery to treat gastrointestinal issues like GERD(acid reflux) and hiatus hernia.
The surgery is carried out through small incisions while the surgeon observes the procedure on a video display. The fundus (the top of the stomach) is wrapped around the bottom of the esophagus(food pipe) during surgery. A 'wrap' is another word for a fundoplication.
In patients with GERD, this basically fixes the valve(sphincter) at the lower end of the esophagus that isn't working properly. This causes increased pressure in the esophagus. Hence acid reflux will reduce significantly.
Why do you need to undergo Fundoplication Surgery?
As per the laparoscopic and bariatric surgeon, fundoplication will be considered as a last resort treatment option only if-
- You have taken medicines to resolve the symptoms
- If you have lost weight
- You are not taking alcohol or caffeine
- You are taking medications that can strengthen your stomach muscles but still, your symptoms are not getting relieved.
What are the types of fundoplication surgeries performed in India?
There are three main types of fundoplication surgeries that can be performed as per the patient’s requirement. All of these procedures are performed laparoscopically. The surgeries include-
- 360-degree wrap-To tighten the sphincter, the fundus is wrapped all the way around the bottom of your esophagus. This keeps you from burping or vomiting, which can aggravate your GERD.
- 270-degree posterior wrap- The fundus wraps around the backside, or posterior, of the bottom of your esophagus. This acts as a valve, allowing you to release gas more easily through burps or vomit when necessary.
- 180 degrees anterior wrap- The esophagus just beside the diaphragm is rebuilt. The fundus is then wrapped halfway around the front, or anterior, of the lower esophagus and attached to a piece of diaphragm tissue.
How a fundoplication surgery is performed?
The surgery is performed under general anesthesia.
Then, during the procedure, your doctor will insert intravenous (IV) tubes into your veins for fluid control and anesthetic. Throughout the procedure, you will be unconscious.
The steps for each type of fundoplication are slightly different. Each, though, takes two to four hours and follows a similar technique. Here's a quick rundown of a fundoplication procedure involves:
- The skin and peritoneum, a layer of tissue that surrounds your gut, are sliced several times.
- Through the ports(cuts) a thin, illuminated tube with a camera and microscopic surgical equipment is inserted.
- Your lower esophagus is wrapped around by the tissues of your fundus.
- The fundus is attached to your esophagus using dissolvable sutures.
- Any gas in the abdomen is expelled, and all surgical instruments are removed.
- Dissolvable stitches are used to close the incisions.
What are the benefits of Fundoplication Surgery?
As per research, previously treated cases have shown
- The overall quality of the patient’s lifestyle has improved.
- Symptoms have reduced significantly and are manageable after surgery
- More than 90 percent of patients are satisfied with their surgery
- Patients have stooped taking antacid medications
- And get discharged from the hospital on the same day or within one day after surgery
- Able to get back to work after 2-4 weeks of operation.
Fundoplication surgery cost in India-
The surgery cost may vary based on multiple factors like-
- The expertise and experience of your surgeon
- The severity of the condition you are suffering from
- overall health of the patient
- The location of the hospital
- Type of hospital room you have opted for
- Diagnostic and medication cost
- Post-surgical complications (if any)
Why should you consider getting fundoplication surgery in India?
India is the most favored place for treating gastric issues for three major reasons.
- India's cutting-edge technology,
- medical skills,
- Board-certified and experienced surgeons, a few of them are also nominated with ‘center of excellence awards
- India’s hospitable environment,
- Fundoplication surgery costs in India are almost 20-25% of the same surgery cost in other countries, which ensures the quality of treatment in India is at par with the other countries around the globe.
How can we help in the treatment of Fundoplication Surgery ?
If you need to undergo fundoplication surgery in India, we act as your guide throughout your treatment journey and will be present physically with you even before your treatment is started. We will provide you with the following:
- Expert physicians and surgeon’s opinions
- Transparent communication
- Coordinated care
- Prior appointment with specialists
- Assistance in hospital formalities
- 24*7 availability
- Arrangement for travel
- Assistance for accommodation and healthy recovery
- Assistance in emergencies
We are committed to providing the best health care services to our patients. We have a team of trained and highly dedicated health experts who will be there by your side right from the beginning of your journey.
In India, we have world-class hospitals that offer the most advanced weight-loss treatment options that exceed international standards. So, if you're thinking of taking a trip for fundoplication surgery in India, you can count on us. Our effectiveness as a center for treating gastric issues in India has been demonstrated by our treatment outcomes and patient satisfaction.