Does Liver Donation Reduce the Life Expectancy of a Living Donor?
A living donor transplant occurs when an organ or a portion of an organ is removed from a living person and implanted in a person whose organ functionality has been damaged.The number of surviving organ donors in India in 2023 is 17,190. Organ donation can be made by both a deceased and a living donor as long as blood and oxygen are flowing through the organs until they are recovered. As the liver is one such organ that can regenerate on its own, a living donor transplant is mostly preferred for liver transplant surgeries. Moreover, a living donor transplant can save vital time and save lives as well.
Book free consulting session with HealthTrip expert
Benefits of a living donor transplant:
There are numerous advantages to living-liver donation, including:
- People with end-stage liver disease benefit from living-donor transplants. It also increases the number of livers available for transplant recipients.
- Living-liver donors might take comfort in knowing that they have made a significant difference in the lives of others.
- Living-liver donors and transplant recipients can arrange for surgery at a time that is convenient for both parties.
- This can reduce the time spent on the liver transplant waitlist while also lowering the chance of the liver condition worsening.
- Recipients often have better long-term outcomes and recover faster because they received a piece of a healthy donor's liver.
Also, Read - Facts You Need to Know About Liver Transplant
How is the surgery performed for liver donation?
During the surgery, an incision is created on the donor's abdomen, just below the rib cage. Depending on the demands of the patient, a portion of the liver is removed without injuring any veins connected to it. Before the incision is closed, the remaining liver is sutured back into place.
Also, Read - Why Should You Go For Liver Transplant In India?
What are the risks associated with a living donor transplant?
Even while the live liver donation is considered a relatively safe procedure, it requires extensive surgery and may result in liver donation side effects such as:
- Anesthesia-related allergic response
- Discomfort and pain
- Infection of the wound
- Bleeding that may necessitate a transfusion
- Clots in the blood
- Bile duct issues, bile leaks
- Scar tissue development
In rare cases, liver failure may occur, necessitating transplantation and death.
Also, Read - How Much Does Liver Transplant Costs in India?
Liver donor recovery time:
The procedure necessitates a 7-day hospital stay following surgery. Following surgery, the donor may experience pain at the incision site. This can be easily managed with pain medication. A proper follow-up is necessary to look for signs of liver repair and regeneration.
Weights more than 5 kg should not be lifted until 8 weeks after discharge. The donor may be required to attend the hospital on a weekly basis and take prescribed drugs. They must also practice incision holding and leg movements as instructed. The best thing about a liver transplant is that the donor's liver regenerates to about its original size in 6-8 weeks. Liver donors show complete recovery within 6-8 weeks.
Also, Read - 10 Best Liver Transplant Centers in India
The life expectancy of a living donor:
A living liver donation has no effect on how long or healthy you will live. It just has an effect on your psychology and society. For the rest of your life, you will feel proud and gratified. And others look up to you as a role model who they hope to emulate one day.
How can we help in the treatment?
If you are in search of a liver transplant in India, we will serve as your guide throughout your treatment and will be physically present with you even before your treatment begins. The following will be provided to you:
- Opinions of expert physicians and surgeons
- Transparent communication
- Coordinated care
- Prior appointment with specialists
- Assistance in hospital formalities
- 24*7 availability
- Arrangement for travel
- Assistance for accommodation and healthy recovery
- Assistance in emergencies
We are dedicated to offering the highest quality health care to our patients. HealthTrip has a team of highly qualified doctors and devoted health professionals that will be by your side from the beginning of your journey.