Cornea Transplant Surgery- Procedure, Cost and Recovery
The cornea, the transparent and dome-shaped outermost layer of our eye helps focus light into our eyes and allows us to see everything clearly. Corneal transplantation is a medical operation that involves the replacement of a diseased or damaged cornea with a healthy one from a donor. In this blog, we will discuss the corneal transplantation cost along with the procedures to treat a damaged cornea, when do you need one, and many more.
Book free consulting session with HealthTrip expert
Why do you need a corneal transplant?
A cornea transplant is done to regain disturbed vision due to a damaged cornea.
As per our ophthalmologist, keratoplasty or corneal transplant can be done only if-
- the person suffers extensive corneal scarring as a result of recurrent corneal scratching
- Or due to sores or ulcers in the eyes,
- Discomfort, edema, or swelling in the cornea
- A hereditary condition called Fuch’s dystrophy
- Tearing or thinning of the cornea
- Keratoconus, or corneal bulging that affects the vision of late teens
- Complication from previous eye surgery
Types of corneal transplants performed in India?
Your doctor will decide the ideal corneal transplant required for your eye condition. The choice may vary based on the
- patient’s ability to take care after surgery
-the cost of the surgery and many more. However, three most commonly performed transplant procedures in India-
- Full-thickness corneal transplantation
- Partial-thickness corneal transplantation
- Endothelial keratoplasty
How keratoplasty is performed?
Full-thickness corneal transplant- Cornea has numerous layers, and if all of them are damaged, your ophthalmologist may recommend this operation.
-Your eye surgeon will replace your damaged cornea with the healthy one from the donor and sew all of the layers together using a suture material that is thinner than hair.
-Because the operation incorporates all of the cornea's layers, the healing time may be prolonged. If the patient is suffering from scarring or corneal abrasion, this can be done.
Partial-thickness corneal transplantation- your surgeon will use air to raise and detach the exterior thin layer and the middle thick layer during this procedure.
-In this case, only the top two layers are involved in the surgical operation.
-There are fewer chances of infection in this situation because it is less invasive than the prior one.
-The amount of time it takes to heal will also be reduced.
- If the patient is suffering from superficial corneal scar
- and the bulging of the cornea has not reached the deeper area of it, this procedure can be done.
Endothelial keratoplasty is the most popular technique among eye surgeons.
The endothelium is the cornea's inner layer. The majority of individuals who require corneal transplantation have a problem with the inner layer only.
This can be accomplished in two ways:
Descemet's Stripping Endothelial Keratoplasty- your surgeon will remove the endothelium and Descemet's membrane above it and replace it with a donor's healthy endothelium and Descemet's membrane (connected to the stroma) in this surgery.
For ease of handling, the surgeon does not remove these layers from the stroma in this case.
The endothelium and Descemet's membrane can also be replaced without the stroma in another form of the operation.
This surgery is extremely delicate because, without the stroma, the detached corneal layer will be extremely brittle and fragile for the surgeon to handle while doing the procedure.
This technique will result in enhanced healing and a faster recovery time.
What does the recovery look like after corneal transplantation?
The length of time it takes to recover from a cornea transplant is determined by the type of transplant.
- The final results of a full-thickness transplant take about 18 months to see, however, spectacles or contact lenses can normally be provided considerably sooner.
- To maximize your chances of a successful recovery, it's critical to take proper care of your eye.
- Do not rub your eyes and
- Wait until you're assured it's safe to do things like contact sports and swimming.
- After surgery, keep the eyepatch on for 1-4 days.
- Avoid exposing your eyes to direct sunlight.
- You should use protective eyewear all the times.
- Use the antibiotic eye drops that your surgeon has ordered.
- After consulting with your surgeon, you may use some OTC (over-the-counter) pain relievers.
- Try to sleep on your back at night because the surgeon used an air bubble within your eye for transplanting. You must lie flat for a few days following your procedure to keep the corneal tissue in the right place.
What is the cost of corneal transplantation?
Corneal transplant cost may depend on variable factors like that include-
- Patient’s age
- Type of surgery
- Consultation of ophthalmologist
- Post-surgery follow-up and care
- Vision correction
If you have personal health coverage, such as Medicare, most of the costs of a corneal transplant will be covered. Copays and coinsurance are frequently included in your out-of-pocket costs.
Why should you consider getting a corneal transplant in India?
India is the most favored place for corneal transplant operations for a few major reasons. And if you are searching for the best hospital for cornea transplants in India, we will help you out to find the same.
- India's cutting-edge reproductive techniques,
- medical skills, and
- Cornea transplant costs in India are among the best in the world, as our patients need affordable and quality outcomes.
All these have significantly increased the success rate of cornea transplants in India.
Conclusion-By simply packing their medical journey to India, cornea transplant treatment can substantially benefit the patient. We also offer a comprehensive range of counseling for coping with changes to our international patients.
How can we help in the treatment?
If you are in search of a cornea transplant hospital in India, we will serve as your guide throughout your treatment and will be physically present with you even before your treatment begins. The following will be provided to you:
- Opinions of expert physicians and surgeons
- Transparent communication
- Coordinated care
- Prior appointment with specialists
- Assistance in hospital formalities
- 24*7 availability
- Arrangement for travel
- Assistance for accommodation and healthy recovery
- Assistance in emergencies
We are dedicated to offering the highest quality health care to our patients. We have a team of highly qualified and devoted health professionals that will be by your side from the beginning of your journey.