Cochlear Implant Surgery in India: Procedure, Cost All You Need To Know
People who can not hear as well as others are suffering from hearing problems. As per research, hearing loss may cause physical as well as psychological issues. As it leaves the patient frustrated and disconnected from the rest of the world. While hearing aids are the most common solution for such issues, some people find cochlear implants a superior solution. In this blog, we will discuss the cochlear implant surgery cost in India along with the step-by-step guide on how can you get your implant done. Continue reading to know more.
Book free consulting session with HealthTrip expert
What is a cochlear implant?
A cochlear implant is a medical device that works by stimulating the auditory nerve directly to produce a perception of sound.
Cochlear implants do not cure or repair hearing loss, but they do serve the purpose of hearing in the severely damaged cochlea to sense the sensation of sound by bypassing the injured inner ear.
Unlike hearing aids, these are implanted surgically.
How does a cochlear implant work?
A Cochlear Implant gathers up the sound waves and turns them into electrical pulses that activate the auditory nerve and are subsequently delivered to the brain, whereas a hearing aid just amplifies sound. These signals are translated into sounds by the brain.
While hearing through a Cochlear Implant is not the same as hearing naturally, several studies suggest that children who receive the implant before the age of three have the same auditory and speech development by the age of ten as children who were not born with any hearing impairment.
Also, Read - How Much Is a Nose Job In Korea?
A cochlear implant consists of two components-
- External component- A microphone, a speech processor, and a transmitter make up the external component of a cochlear implant.
On other models, the microphone and speech processor are housed in a compact unit that resembles a behind-the-ear hearing aid. The transmitter is worn on the head. The compact unit(microphone and the processor) is normally connected to the transmitter by a short wire that runs through the device.
Acoustic sounds are picked up by the microphone and sent to the speech processor.
- Internal component- A receiver, which is situated under the skin on the temporal bone(the one behind the ear) and one or more electrode arrays make up the internal part of a cochlear implant.
The transmitter sends out signals, which the receiver absorbs and turns into electrical pulses.
It then sends the pulses to electrodes that have been implanted deep into the inner ear. These electrodes stimulate the auditory nerve directly.
Why do you need it?
Your audiologist may consider a cochlear implant as a treatment option only if-
- The hearing aid is not sufficient for your hearing loss
- Even after wearing hearing aids, you are missing half of the spoken words.
- Poor quality hearing or hearing with less clarity
- You are relying on lip-reading to understand the spoken words
- In spite of wearing a hearing aid, you are dependent on lip reading.
A partially inserted cochlear implant can be used in case of moderate hearing loss. While in severe hearing loss, a fully inserted implant is suggested.
How is a cochlear implant surgery performed?
Once you and your surgeon will decide to get a cochlear implant-
- A physical assessment is performed the day before surgery to ensure that you are medically fit for surgery.
- You'll be put to sleep with a general anesthetic on the day of the procedure.
- Your surgeon makes an incision behind your ear and a little indentation in the mastoid bone(the bone behind your ears) after you're unconscious.
- A tiny hole is made in the cochlea (at the inner ear) by your surgeon. The electrodes are then inserted into the hole.
- The receiver is then placed behind your ear, beneath the skin. They sew the incision and attach it to the skull.
You'll be shifted to the recovery unit after the procedure, where you'll wake up.
You'll be continuously followed to ensure you don't experience any complications as a result of the procedure.
You'll be released a few hours following surgery or the next day.
You'll be able to return home without the device being turned on. A healthcare practitioner will show you how to care for the incision before you leave the hospital.
A week later, you'll have a follow-up consultation with your surgeon to check the incision and see how it's healing. Before placing the implant, the incision must heal.
Your doctor will attach the external portions around a month or two following surgery. After that, the internal components will be turned on.
You'll need to see your doctor for adjustments on a frequent basis for the next few months. You'll also require audiologic rehabilitation therapy. Our speech pathologists and audiologists will help you with the same.
Cochlear implant cost in India-
Multiple factors can affect the cost of cochlear implants in India. It includes-
- Age of the patient
- Whether the patient is having any comorbidities or not
- Type of implant(whether complete or partial)
- Single or double cochlear implant
- Experience of your surgeon
- The location of the hospital
- Speech rehabilitation after getting the implant
- Complications associated with the implant(if any)
Also, Read - Neck Cancer Removal - Surgeries for Neck Cancer
Why should you consider getting cochlear implant surgery in India?
India is the most favored place for cochlear implant operations for a few major reasons. And if you are searching for the best hospital for cochlea implants in India, we will help you to find the same.
- India's cutting-edge techniques,
- medical skills, and
- Cochlear implant costs in India are among the best in the world, as our patients need affordable and quality outcomes.
All these have significantly increased the success rate of cochlear implant surgery in India.
Conclusion-By simply packing their medical journey to India, cochlear implant treatment can substantially benefit the patient. We also offer a comprehensive range of counseling for coping with changes to our international patients.
How can we help in the treatment?
If you are in search of an ENT hospital in India, we will serve as your guide throughout your medical treatment and will be physically present with you even before your treatment begins. The following will be provided to you:
- Opinions of expert physicians and surgeons
- Transparent communication
- Coordinated care
- Prior appointment with specialists
- Assistance in hospital formalities
- 24*7 availability
- Arrangement for travel
- Assistance for accommodation and healthy recovery
- Assistance in emergencies
We are dedicated to offering the highest quality health trip and care to our patients. We have a team of highly qualified and devoted health professionals that will be by your side from the beginning of your medical tour.