Cervical Cancer: 6 Signs that You Shouldn’t Miss
Cervical cancer has become one of the leading causes of death in the advanced stages. And this contributes to 6–29% of all cancers among women in India. Cervical cancer is completely curable if diagnosed early. Routine check-ups, education, and awareness about cancer can prevent the ever-rising cervical cancer cases among Indian women. That’s why here we’ve discussed the symptoms of cervical cancer that you need to know. On this page, you will find more about the changes that often signal a problem or that you might need medical care.
Book free consulting session with HealthTrip expert
What are the symptoms associated with cervical cancer?
As per our expert gynecologists, unfortunately, the early symptoms of cervical cancer are not easily noticeable. And these symptoms are often mistaken for those of other illnesses.
The following are the cervical cancer symptoms that you should look for:
- Unusual bleeding in between periods
- Pain and bleeding after sexual intercourse
- Vaginal discharge (with strong odor)
- Abdominal and pelvic pain
- Frequent urination
- Painful UTI(urinary tract infection)
Anyone who has experienced any one of these above-mentioned symptoms should see a gynecologist immediately.
Also, Read - A Small Guide to Check Cancer
Can cervical cancer be prevented?
Cervical cancer vaccines are now available to protect women. These vaccines are available for girls and women aged 9 to 26. The HPV vaccine is most effective when given to girls before they begin the sexual activity. Cervical cancer can also be detected early with regular screenings.
Cervical HPV is very common, and most women who have it never develop cervical cancer. This implies that there are additional environmental and lifestyle factors contributing to the illness. It is critical to practice safe sex by using condoms and limiting the number of sexual partners you have. Pap tests and pelvic exams are recommended every 3–5 years beginning at the age of 21. These tests can detect precancerous cervix conditions.
Why is the incidence of cervical cancer rising in India?
Research shows that women in India are often diagnosed too late. Multiple factors contributed to a woman's late diagnosis.
- Most women in India only seek treatment when the disease has already progressed.
- Those who approach doctors on time may not receive the treatment due to the expense.
- Unlike women in developed countries, Indian women do not take part in regular screenings. The stigma attached to the pelvic examination has a huge role to play in delaying screenings.
What are the risk factors associated with cervical cancer?
Apart from the above-mentioned causes, certain factors can increase the risk of developing cervical cancer in India.
- HPV: HPV is one of the most common causes of cervical cancer and is transmitted through sexual contact. There are over 100 different types of HPV, at least 13 of which can cause cervical cancer.
- Having a large number of sexual partners: Cancer-causing HPV types are almost always transmitted through sexual contact with someone who has HPV. Women who have had multiple sexual partners are more likely to be infected with HPV. This raises their chances of developing cervical cancer.
- Cigarette smoking: This increases the risk of cervical cancer.
- A weakened immune system: People with HIV or AIDS, as well as those who have had a transplant, are more likely to develop cervical cancer, which necessitates the use of immunosuppressive medications.
- Pills for birth control: Long-term use of some common contraceptive pills increases a woman's risk slightly.
- Other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs): Diseases that increase the risk of cervical cancer include chlamydia, gonorrhea, and syphilis.
How can we help with the treatment?
If you are in search of cervical cancer treatment in India, our health trip advisors serve as your guide throughout the medical treatment and will be physically present with you even before the treatment begins. The following will be provided to you:
- Opinions of expert physicians and surgeons
- Transparent communication
- Coordinated care
- Prior appointment with specialists
- Assistance with hospital formalities
- 24*7 availability
- Arrangement for travel
- Assistance for accommodation and healthy recovery
- Assistance in emergencies
We are dedicated to offering the highest quality health care to our patients. We have a team of highly qualified and devoted health trip advisors that will be by your side from the beginning of your journey.