Bone Marrow Transplant (BMT) Treatment: Cost, Procedure, & Hospitals in India
The bone marrow is a brown, spongy material, found inside the bones, which is responsible for the production of red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets. Each of these has a specific function, which is vital for our existence. Red blood cells are responsible for carrying oxygen-rich blood to different parts of the body, white blood cells produce antibodies that help us to fight infections and platelets help in clotting, thereby helping to prevent unnecessary blood loss. When your bone marrow is not healthy, it is naturally going to impact the production of the blood cells and platelets, disrupting their normal functioning. In such cases, the patient requires a bone marrow transplant.
Book free consulting session with HealthTrip expert
What is Bone Marrow Transplant?
Bone Marrow Transplant, commonly referred to as BMT, is a therapeutic intervention that works by replacing the damaged or diseased bone marrow of a patient with healthy stem cells, taken either from the patient's own body or from a suitable donor. Healthy stem cells are infused into the patient's body, to promote the growth and development of new cells.
Different Types of Bone Marrow Transplant
Bone marrow transplant is broadly classified into three different types. These are as under:
Autologous bone marrow transplant - The term 'auto' means self. An autologous transplant involves the infusion of the patient's own stem cells into their body. The procedure is recommended for patients who have to undergo a high dose or intensive treatment like chemotherapy that can destroy the healthy bone marrow. The doctors collect healthy bone marrow from the patient's body prior to the treatment and administer it back into the body after the treatment is finished. The procedure is also referred to as stem cell rescue.
Cost - 11 lakhs to 18.5 lakhs
Steps involved - Various steps involved in autologous bone marrow transplant include:
- Collection of the stem cells - This may take several days, and is done by administering medications that increase the stem cell count. The stem cells are then collected and stored at a low temperature.
- Treatment - Once the bone marrow has been collected, doctors can proceed with your treatment, be it Chemotherapy or Radiation therapy
- Transfusion of stem cells - Once the procedure is complete, the stem cells are reduced in the patient's bloodstream
Allogeneic bone marrow transplant - The term 'allo' means other. Allogenic bone marrow transplant involves the use of tenses taken from a donor, whose genes partially match those of the patients. The eligibility of a person to be a donor is determined by performing a series of tests. Usually, the siblings of the patient are a good match. In some cases, the parents and children may also be suitable donors. Allogeneic bone marrow transplant is classified into three different types - complete matched sibling donor bone marrow transplant, haploidentical bone marrow transplant, and unrelated donor bone marrow transplant.
Cost - 19 lakhs - 28 lakhs
Steps involved - Various steps involved in allogeneic bone marrow transplant include:
- Identification of donor - In order to perform an allogeneic bone marrow transplant, there is a need for a compatible donor. The compatibility is defined with the help of a series of tests.
- Collection of stem cells - After finding a suitable donor, the stem cells will be collected. This is done by injecting medicines to increase the production of the stem cells and then collecting these from the donor's bloodstream.
- Treatment - The free transplant treatment is performed and the patient's body is prepared for the introduction of stem cells.
- Introducing the donor cells - The donor cells are transplanted into the patient's bloodstream, which may take about an hour.
Umbilical cord blood transplant
Umbilical cord blood transplant is a type of allogeneic transplant, which involves the administration of stem cells taken from the umbilical cord of a newborn baby, into the patient's body. The cells are collected at the time of birth and stored at a very low temperature, to be used later. The best thing about an umbilical cord blood transplant is that the blood cells are not mature enough, thereby negating the need for a perfect match. The recovery rate is comparatively slower however the procedure can come in handy when the patient cannot find a suitable donor.
Cost 10 lakhs - 20 lakhs
Why do you need a Bone Marrow Transplant?
A bone marrow transplant may be performed for any of the mentioned reasons:
- To make it possible for you to safely undergo other treatments like chemotherapy and radiation therapy
- To produce new stem cells for fighting the cancerous cells
- To replace the stem cells damaged by any of the following conditions:
- Malignancies like leukemia and lymphoma
- Ailments like aplastic anemia in which the body stops generating new blood cells
- Frequent infections due to congenital neutropenia
- Inherited diseases of the blood cells, like Thalassemia and Sickle Cell anemia
- Congenital metabolic defects
- Bone marrow failure syndrome
Why you should consider getting a bone marrow transplant in India?
If you're looking for the best place to get your bone marrow transplant, you can find some of the top hospitals in India, offering state-of-the-art interventions that are at par with international standards.
- Cost-effective treatment - The average cost of treatment is between 10 lakh to 40 lakhs, which may vary depending upon the type of transplant and the complications associated with the procedure. This is nearly one-third of what you would be required to pay in any western country.
- Success rate - With a staggering success rate of 60 to 90%, India is the top choice of patients for undergoing all kinds of Bone Marrow Transplants.
- Complete Stay - You will be required to stay in the hospital for 30 days, and your complete stay will be around 90 days long, during which your prognosis will be thoroughly assessed by your medical team, so as to avoid any risks of complications
How can we help in the treatment?
If you are diagnosed with cancer, we act as your guide throughout your treatment journey and will be present physically with you even before your treatment is started. We will provide you with the following:
- Expert physicians and surgeon’s opinions
- Transparent communication
- Coordinated care
- Prior appointment with specialists
- Assistance in hospital formalities
- 24*7 availability
- Arrangement for medical travel
- Assistance for accommodation and healthy recovery
- Assistance in emergencies
We are committed to providing the best health care services to our patients. We have a team of trained and highly dedicated health experts who will be there by your side right from the beginning of your journey.
A bone marrow transplant is a life-saving procedure that can help patients suffering from a wide spectrum of diseases and conditions involving the bone marrow. You can get world-class bone marrow transplant facilities in India at pocket-friendly rates.