Diet and Lifestyle Changes After Bariatric Surgery in India
Book free consulting session with HealthTrip expert
After bariatric surgery, the stomach's size is reduced, making it impossible to consume large quantities of food. This change in the digestive system means that it is essential to make dietary changes to ensure that the body gets the nutrients it needs to function correctly. Patients who have undergone bariatric surgery in India should follow a strict dietary plan that is tailored to their specific needs.
The dietary plan may include:
- Liquid Diet: After surgery, patients are put on a liquid diet for the first few days. The liquid diet comprises clear liquids such as broth, water, and juice. The purpose of this diet is to allow the stomach to heal and prevent any complications such as vomiting or dehydration.
- Pureed Diet: After the liquid diet, patients are then transitioned to a pureed diet. This diet consists of pureed foods such as mashed potatoes, pureed vegetables, and fruits. The pureed diet helps the stomach adjust to solid foods and promotes healing.
- Soft Diet: After the pureed diet, patients can start eating soft foods such as cooked vegetables, lean protein, and soft fruits. This diet helps the stomach adjust to solid foods and promotes healing.
- Regular Diet: Once the patient is fully recovered, they can start eating a regular diet. However, it is important to note that the regular diet should be healthy and balanced to ensure that the body gets all the necessary nutrients.
It is crucial to note that dietary changes after bariatric surgery are not only about reducing portion sizes but also about making healthier food choices. Patients should avoid high-calorie, high-fat, and high-sugar foods and instead opt for foods that are low in calories but high in nutrients. A healthy and balanced diet is essential for long-term success after bariatric surgery.
Some foods that patients should include in their post-bariatric surgery diet in India include:
- Protein-rich Foods: After bariatric surgery, patients should aim to consume protein-rich foods such as lean meat, fish, poultry, eggs, and legumes. Protein is essential for repairing and rebuilding body tissues, and it also promotes satiety, which can help patients feel full for longer.
- Vegetables and Fruits: Patients should also include plenty of vegetables and fruits in their diet. These foods are low in calories but high in fibre, vitamins, and minerals. They also promote satiety, which can help patients feel full for longer.
- Whole Grains: Patients should opt for whole grains such as brown rice, quinoa, and whole wheat bread instead of refined grains. Whole grains are rich in fibre and other nutrients that are essential for maintaining a healthy weight.
- Low-fat Dairy: Low-fat dairy products such as skim milk, low-fat yoghurts, and cheese are recommended for patients. Calcium, which is essential for bone health, is found in several foods.
Lifestyle Changes After Bariatric Surgery in India
In addition to dietary changes, lifestyle changes are also crucial for long-term success after bariatric surgery in India. These changes include:
- Quit Smoking: Smoking can lead to several complications after bariatric surgery, such as delayed healing and infection. Patients who smoke should quit smoking immediately after surgery to reduce the risk of complications.
- Regular Exercise: Exercise is crucial for weight loss and maintaining a healthy weight. Patients should engage in regular physical activity to ensure that they burn enough calories to support weight loss. However, patients should avoid high impact exercises immediately after surgery and should gradually increase their level of physical activity over time.
- Avoid Alcohol: Patients should avoid alcohol after bariatric surgery, as it can lead to several complications such as liver damage and dehydration.
- Regular Follow-up with Doctor: Patients should attend regular follow-up appointments with their doctor after bariatric surgery to monitor their progress and ensure that they are on track with their weight loss goals. This also allows doctors to detect and address any complications that may arise.
- Adequate Sleep: Adequate sleep is crucial for weight loss and maintaining a healthy weight. Patients should aim to get 7-8 hours of sleep per night to ensure that their body is well-rested and functioning correctly.
For patients suffering from obesity in India, bariatric surgery may be a life-changing treatment. However, surgery alone will not guarantee long-term success. Following bariatric surgery, diet and lifestyle adjustments are critical for maintaining a healthy weight and preventing problems. To assist weight reduction, patients should adhere to a rigorous food plan and engage in regular physical exercise. They should also refrain from smoking and drinking, and they should see their doctor on a regular basis to assess their progress. Patients can get the full advantages of bariatric surgery and live a healthy and satisfying life by adopting these modifications.