A Complete Guide for a Root Canal Treatment
Root canal treatment is basically required to repair a severely damaged tooth that has been infected. Instead of removing the tooth, the doctor performs a procedure called a root canal that helps in restoring the nerves of the tooth, and then later on it is covered with the tooth cap so that it is safe from infections and one can easily eat without any problem.
Book free consulting session with HealthTrip expert
Why is root canal treatment done?
Root canal treatment is performed in order to remove the injured, decayed, inflamed, or infected area of the tooth. The infected tooth is treated and sealed so that the infection does not reach the root and affect other nearby teeth.
After cleaning and filling the tooth the doctor protects the tooth by adding the crown on the top so that there are no chances of risk of having any infection in that tooth.
Here are some common reasons for which a person requires a root canal
- Chipped or cracked tooth
- Decayed tooth
- Muktople dental procedure
- Deep root infection
- Tooth injury
Also, read - Top 10 Dental Implant Hospitals in India
How is a root canal treatment done?
- Root canal procedure is usually performed by an expert dentist who has experience in performing dental surgery. The dentist begins by treating the infected area for which the doctor uses local anesthesia that is injected into the gums so that the patient does not feel any pain during the procedure.
- Secondly, the dentist makes a small opening on the top of the tooth and tries to expose the infected area or the damaged pulp. After that the dentist carefully removes the infected pulp using special tools called files, then carefully removes the infected pulp, seals the nerves, and is followed by cleaning the area around the tooth.
- After removing the pulp the dentist uses antibiotics to ensure that there is no infection and then this infects the entire tooth and nearby area.
- At last, the dentist fills the top of the tooth with the filling and then covers the tooth with a crown so that there is no infection in the future.
Also, read - Why Do You Need To Undergo Vitamin B12 Test?
Does root canal treatment hurt?
Patients suffering from tooth decay or a chipped tooth suffer from extreme pain and sensitivity before the procedure.
During the procedure, the patient does not feel any pain as the doctor injects local anesthesia in the gums so that the patient does not feel any kind of pain during the surgical procedure and so that it can be done without any risk.
Also, read - Average Life Expectancy After Bypass Surgery
How much does a root canal treatment cost?
Root canal treatment is not very costly in India. The cost of the treatment generally depends upon the dentist, the hospital, the type of surgical procedure, the type of root cap or the crown used, etc but still the cost of the treatment is not very high and falls in the range of 3000 to 12000 rupees only.
Also, read - Life Expectancy of a Liver Donor
Can we drink alcohol or smoke after root canal treatment?
Consuming alcohol or smoking soon after the root canal treatment procedure is not a wise idea. As the filling is still fresh after the procedure and the roots are not permanently closed, smoking and drinking can interfere in the treatment of that specific tooth.
The nicotine can deposit around the soft tissue surrounding the truth which might lead to inflammation and infection. Similarly, in the case of alcohol, might hinder the healing process and may lead to infection, pain, or tooth decay.
Also, read - Cancer Survival Rate & Life Expectancy
How long should pain last after root canal treatment?
After the root canal treatment generally one does not experience pain as they used to suffer before the procedure. One might feel numbness, light sensitivity towards hot and cold foods, mild pain, sensation, or ticking for a couple of days. After the tooth gets relaxed and the infection is totally gone after the treatment one should not feel any pain.
Also, read - Life After Hiatal Hernia Surgery - GERD Symptoms
How can we help with the treatment?
The following will be provided to you:
- Expert dentists, and dental surgeons
- Transparent communication
- Coordinated assistance
- Prior appointments with specialists and follow-up queries
- Assistance with medical tests
- Assistance with hospital formalities
- 24*7 availability
- Travel arrangements
- Assistance for accommodation and healthy recovery
- Assistance in emergencies